Is my engine mounted well?

GoldenMotor.com

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
One mount looks perfect (picture 1) but the other seems to be only solidly connected on one side of the mount (picture 2) but the other has a big gap (picture 3)

It's mostly the gap visible in picture 3 that worries me. I'm not sure if that's inevitable, though - the angle between the two mounts seems different than the angle between the two parts of the bike frame.

Thanks for the help!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Murph,
The rear mount looks good but you really need to get more surface contact on that front one. You can use a sanding drum on a drill, a Dremel or even a hand file to contour that mount so it sets flush against the down tube for the best mounting position.
I don't want to rain on your parade but you did ask for opinions.
Tom

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
I received this bike assembled from someone else. I'm slowly learning my way around it / fixing it's endless problems. So, no holds barred :) I want to make it right.

kutsuda

Mar 23, 2010
georgia
I received this bike assembled from someone else. I'm slowly learning my way around it / fixing it's endless problems. So, no holds barred :) I want to make it right.
well if you wan't to make it better then i agree with what 2door says also the endless problems are normal alot of these kits have crappy stock hardware...

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
If you want the mounts to fit perfectly use JB Weld Putty, lightly grease the area where it will be, put the putty in the areas that aren't making 100% contact and clamp it down, trim off the excess and let it cure, the grease will stop the Putty from sticking to the frame.

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
If you want the mounts to fit perfectly use JB Weld Putty, lightly grease the area where it will be, put the putty in the areas that aren't making 100% contact and clamp it down, trim off the excess and let it cure, the grease will stop the Putty from sticking to the frame.
This sounds much easier than filing/sanding out the mount. Does anyone think it'd be a bad idea? If not, I'll give it a shot this weekend!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Murph,
You're going to get responses from both sides of the fence here. Personally, I don't use glue for anything on my bikes. I'm a big opponent of J-B Weld. On the other side you're going to hear that it is Heaven's gift to the mechanic.
This is where you'll need to do what you feel is right and what works for you. Undoubtedly others have had success with that product. It's just not something I believe in.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Murph,
I feel that J-B Weld might find a place as a stop-gap, temporary or emergency repair, but there are other ways to fix your mounts that are more professional and permanent.

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
I somewhat worry that if I try to file/sand the mount down I won't succeed in getting it properly smooth/flush the whole way through. The JB weld solution appealed to me for that reason - it'd make solid contact the whole way through the mount.

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
well if you wan't to make it better then i agree with what 2door says also the endless problems are normal alot of these kits have crappy stock hardware...
I suppose one should be grateful that they have hardware at all and aren't riveted together. I didn't just type that. The Grubee dude doesn't read this forum does he?

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
Oh hey, a mounting techniques forum. Missed it, sorry! (thanks for the move).

I see something about a universal mount from Slick Bike Parts - would something like that solve my issue?

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
It should fix it. That little bit of difference in angle(between the mount on the engine and the angle of the bar) looks to be causing it IMO. The SBP mount would mount flush to the bar, and then the plate would flex a bit to match the angle of the engine.

That or the bar's too big, and either way it should fix it.

Murph

Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
doh, SBP is out of stock of the correct size for the coming weeks. Are there any other stores that sell something similar?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
That will work. Bolt to engine, see how it fits, remove and bend to desire angle you need. DO NOT bend on the engine...I say again...DO NOT bend on the engine.
Ones I made...
.....Here is another ... In this picture I needed to raise the engine up to clear the chain guard.

I have yet to built a bike (Chinese HT engine 5 of them) that I haven't had to make/fabricate a front mount of some sort.

Last edited: