Louisiana?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
According to the laws I've found on the books it looks like the motor bicycle needs to be registered...but with no Bill of Sale or Title how would I do that? It's a bicycle that I bought years ago and have no receipt, and an engine kit.

I did find a section that states that anything under 5hp does not require a motorcycle endorsement on your license. I did find contradicting information about requirement of insurance though. I'm so confused.

I just plan to run around my little town, mostly on 25mph limit roads (neighborhoods). Everything I'd visit is in like a 1/2 mile radius.

The cops in my town are known to get bored and find things to stop you for though...

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
where does that information come from? the little info I could find would suggest that a 50cc does need to be registered.

there doesn't seem to be any clear cut information out there.

sterno666

Jul 19, 2010
Louisiana
Honestly, I can't remember where I read that. When I first built my bike I did research and came up with that 50cc rule. You can't ride them on sidewalks and you have to have a valid drivers license and be wearing a helmet. I'd look to see if I had a bookmark, but that was a computer or two ago.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
DEFINITION OF MOPEDS AND MOTORIZED BICYCLES
MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE - R.S. 32:1(39) defines as every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor not to exceed five horsepower.

MOTORIZED BICYCLE - R.S. 32:1(41) defines as a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed of no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface."

REGISTRATION OF VEHICLE - R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving.

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION AND TITLING
Mopeds and motorized bicycles shall be registered and titled upon presentation of the following:

1. Notarized certificate of origin or title

2. Bill of sale

3. Evidence of security interest must be filed by a UCC-1 or equivalent form or by the filing of the security agreement.

4. Odometer statement

LICENSE REQUIRED

1. A motorized bicycle shall only be operated upon the roadway of the highways of this state by a person fifteen years of age or older who possesses a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement and shall not be operated upon sidewalks, interstate highways or impede traffic flow.

2. No person may operate a moped or motorized bicycle without adhering to laws governing the operation of motorcycle including the wearing of approved eye protectors or a windshield and the wearing of a helmet.

NOTE: MOTORIZED BICYCLES SUCH AS POCKET BIKES AND SCOOTERS THAT DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POLICY SHALL NOT BE REGISTERED.

This seems to indicate that it needs to be registered and that you need a motorcycle endorsement...however I also found info in some Louisiana laws that states that anything under 5hp doesn't require a motorcycle endorsement...but that still leads to the question of registration.

I simply want to be able to enjoy my motorized bicycle without fear of being constantly harassed by the police, so I'd rather be totally legal.

sterno666

Jul 19, 2010
Louisiana
MOTORIZED BICYCLE - R.S. 32:1(41) defines as a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed of no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface."

NOTE: MOTORIZED BICYCLES SUCH AS POCKET BIKES AND SCOOTERS THAT DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POLICY SHALL NOT BE REGISTERED.

This may have changed since I last read it.

sterno666

Jul 19, 2010
Louisiana
I'd say that your bike and or motor receipt would be your bill of sale. You could call the 800 number for the DMV, but it'll take forever to get through and I really wouldn't trust what they tell you. I've been given flat out wrong info from the jack holes manning those phones on more than one occasion.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
I did also find this, which would seem to indicate you do not need a motorcycle endorsement if you're under 5hp.

UTHORITY
R.S 32:190-198
R.S. 32:407, 408(C)
R.S.32:408(C)(2)
R.S. 17:282(C)

DEFINITION
Motorcycles, motor driven cycles, and motorized bicycles shall not be given a separate class, as such, but their use shall be provided for by making an endorsement on one of the basic classes outlined in this Section. Such an endorsement shall be made only after the applicant has taken and successfully passed tests specifically designed for the operation of such vehicles.

To comply with this law, the operator of any motorcycle, motor driven cycle or motorized bicycle (moped), in excess of 5 horsepower, regardless of maximum speed, or size of motor, must have an "M" endorsement on one of the basic classes of operator's license to operate such vehicle on the streets, highways, or roadways in Louisiana. This endorsement is not required to operate motorcycles, motor driven cycles or motorized bicycles under 5 horsepower.

A motorized bicycle (moped) is a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor or both.

sterno666

Jul 19, 2010
Louisiana
I'm thinking that because these bike don't have an automatic transmission, they don't meet the requirements and don't need to be registered.

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
good point.

for anyone in Louisiana I'd say print out this info and carry it around with you along with a receipt showing the displacement of your motor and you should be fine.

of course check any local ordinances also.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I don't know if it is street legal or not, but I know it doesn't have to be registered. It's not over 5 HP. It has nothing to do with top speed or engine size... That's what I read today...

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
I did also find this, which would seem to indicate you do not need a motorcycle endorsement if you're under 5hp.

AUTHORITY
R.S 32:190-198
R.S. 32:407, 408(C)
R.S.32:408(C)(2)
R.S. 17:282(C)

DEFINITION
Motorcycles, motor driven cycles, and motorized bicycles shall not be given a separate class, as such, but their use shall be provided for by making an endorsement on one of the basic classes outlined in this Section. Such an endorsement shall be made only after the applicant has taken and successfully passed tests specifically designed for the operation of such vehicles.

To comply with this law, the operator of any motorcycle, motor driven cycle or motorized bicycle (moped), in excess of 5 horsepower, regardless of maximum speed, or size of motor, must have an "M" endorsement on one of the basic classes of operator's license to operate such vehicle on the streets, highways, or roadways in Louisiana. This endorsement is not required to operate motorcycles, motor driven cycles or motorized bicycles under 5 horsepower.

A motorized bicycle (moped) is a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor or both.
Digging up an old thread, I know. Just in case anyone is interested one of the references (Authority) listed above R.S.32:408(C)(2) is noteworthy. It appears not only is an endorsement not required but a license is not even required.

§408. Examination of applicants required; classes of licenses
C.(2) The provisions of this Subsection shall not apply to motorcycles, motor driven cycles, and motorized bicycles under five horsepower. Their operation shall not require a license or endorsement.

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/law.aspx?d=88385

Last edited:

rustyk

Jun 5, 2015
Church Point, La.
Hey Max, thanks for the info, Im in Church Point, right down the road. Nice to hear from a fellow Cajun. I live in the country, i been avoiding riding through town. Dont want to attract any attention.

Reactions: Billy Marshal