GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
My last build was a Huffy Cranbrook sold at Wally world. It has a steel frame and you cann get a CBE-110 hub and rim for 70 dollars or less with 11ga spokes that will accept either Sportscar Pats 3 piece hub adapter or the Manic Mechanic Sprocket adapter and eliminate the rag joint that wears on the rear hub and spokes. Last I saw the Crannie was $89.

here is mine with a few modifications:
Why is it that almost every motorized bike i see is a cruiser?

I dont want a cruiser

I dont like the way the handlebars and seats fit me

I'm not a heavy guy but I am very tall and have long legs
The cruisers at Wal-mart are way to small for me. Infact the only bike i was comfortable on was the 29er

And i saw pictures of that bike being built into a motorized bike.

Just because it's aluminum does not mean it will crack.

And trust me I've ridden on Chinese stuff before........
(Chinese fork bolts that stripped under 10 pounds of pressure on a 400lb scooter)

I'm aware problems can arise but i'm not going to be paranoid about the frame cracking

I don't weigh very much anyways and I'll be wearing a full on motorcycle helmet and jacket.

Also.

Important to note here that the orange bike for 199.99 at wal-mart
The one here locally in NC has a different frame and rims, It's solid white and called the Genesis two nine
The rims are much bigger and shorter spokes

Edit:
Could someone else suggest a better bike?
I dont want a cruiser and it needs to be very big.
I dont like being cramped up on a bicycle.
I have to have alot of leg room and arm space
My arms are really long to.

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I hear what you're saying. I'm also tall (6'5") and just came back from looking at whatever Walmart had in stock. Although the Cranbrooks and Schwinn cruisers are popular for conversion, I felt like Magilla Gorilla on a circus cycle on them. They had one Genesis Onyx 29" (a cruiser) which I understand has its limitations but sure felt like a good fit. A better fit than any other bike I tried. And the frame, man did it have huge diameter tubes. Next closest was a Schwinn Link (a hybrid) which was comfortable, but the frame seemed small. I wish they had the Genesis Two-Nine, if they did I probably would have bought it on sight.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
I hear what you're saying. I'm also tall (6'5") and just came back from looking at whatever Walmart had in stock. Although the Cranbrooks and Schwinn cruisers are popular for conversion, I felt like Magilla Gorilla on a circus cycle on them. They had one Genesis Onyx 29" (a cruiser) which I understand has its limitations but sure felt like a good fit. A better fit than any other bike I tried. And the frame, man did it have huge diameter tubes. Next closest was a Schwinn Link (a hybrid) which was comfortable, but the frame seemed small. I wish they had the Genesis Two-Nine, if they did I probably would have bought it on sight.
I might go back tonight and buy it
I've been looking all night long and i swear i cant find any other cycle that fits me so well

Also getting disc brake on the front for only 199.$

And yes i agree i feel like a total idiot sitting on those cruisers
I am way to big for them. like you i am 6 feet myself and very long legs.

When i was buying scooters i had to make sure the leg room was very big so my knees wouldn't hit the handlebars

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Did you look at the Schwinn Link? It's blue with front suspension. It's also rated very highly and costs $159. If they have it in stock, give it a quick spin and then the 29" before you decide. I "fit" on the Link but the 29" cruiser just felt right. First time I've been on a bike that I didn't feel too big for (I've had higher end large frame 26" bikes before). If you get the 29 be sure to let me know. Send me a PM if you prefer. I'd really like to know how it goes. If it works for you I may order one for myself.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've broken 2 aluminum frames. One motorized and one not. I never jumped on either bike. While I'm not anti-aluminum like Spad up there, I'm not gong to trust an aluminum bike for my motorvated daily rider, either. Especially not a Wally World aluminum bike. Just my humble opinion and preference.
Nothing wrong with that....personal preference is what it all boils down to anyway :D

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'll admit there are exceptions. ie: BiMoPed's friend's custom Morini-powered aluminum bike, that thing is art, and in person you can't help but admire the overkill engineering in it's construction. But that thing is racing-level, and many heavy sitters here are doing it on the cheap for a daily beater.

What I mean is, a mainstream aluminum bike is much more likely to have frame failure after so many miles. Aluminum fatigues and degrades: the more it's vibrated and flexed and heated up and cooled, the more likely it's going to crack.

A few years ago I read an article saying the average department store bike went ~75 miles in it's lifetime. Here guys like us are slappin HT66s in there and going 40+ with small sprockets for thousands of miles on streets that aint always smooth. I've done it, myself.

Experienced riders know how to be their own suspension, you know who you are. Heavy sitters on aluminum Walmart bikes doing 30+ really makes me cringe!

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
I'll admit there are exceptions. ie: BiMoPed's friend's custom Morini-powered aluminum bike, that thing is art, and in person you can't help but admire the overkill engineering in it's construction. But that thing is racing-level, and many heavy sitters here are doing it on the cheap for a daily beater.

What I mean is, a mainstream aluminum bike is much more likely to have frame failure after so many miles. Aluminum fatigues and degrades: the more it's vibrated and flexed and heated up and cooled, the more likely it's going to crack.

A few years ago I read an article saying the average department store bike went ~75 miles in it's lifetime. Here guys like us are slappin HT66s in there and going 40+ with small sprockets for thousands of miles on streets that aint always smooth. I've done it, myself.

Experienced riders know how to be their own suspension, you know who you are. Heavy sitters on aluminum Walmart bikes doing 30+ really makes me cringe!
I just bought the bike for 190$ with tax

got a 10% discount in store because of scratches on the bars.

Going to post pictures of it tonight because none of you guys have seen it.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Its great seeing the photos of the bike. I think it's going to be fun build. Look forward to seeing what you do with it. Looking at the photos of your bike makes me think buying one of these would be a relatively inexpensive solution to most of the problems that arise when trying to motorize the other WalMart 29in. Wheel cruiser, the Genesis Onyx. The Wheels on your bike are 36 spoke better for fitting the various rear sprocket set ups. The suspension fork with Disc brake could easily transfer over to the Onyx and the rear v-brake could be used on an adapter or posts welded to the frame.

ocscully

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
That's wierd, they don't even show that model on the Kent Bicycle website and it isn't in Walmarts online offering.
Yep i know.
Thats why i said no one on this forum has seen the bike unless by chance their local wal-mart had one

It's not on the website for kent or walmart and if you notice something

The rims are much much much different then any other 29er offered at wal-mart or online.

Model number is.
OV 02944.

Name is: 29'' two nine

When I 1st saw it in wal-mart i told my mom. "This thing is going to cost over 300$"
when we found out it was 199.99 we were amazed!

Its great seeing the photos of the bike. I think it's going to be fun build. Look forward to seeing what you do with it. Looking at the photos of your bike makes me think buying one of these would be a relatively inexpensive solution to most of the problems that arise when trying to motorize the other WalMart 29in. Wheel cruiser, the Genesis Onyx. The Wheels on your bike are 36 spoke better for fitting the various rear sprocket set ups. The suspension fork with Disc brake could easily transfer over to the Onyx and the rear v-brake could be used on an adapter or posts welded to the frame.

ocscully

I'm ordering my engine kit this week so it will be going on the bike

The only problem i know i'll have is the carb not clearing the frame
The other guy who motorized his basically made an adapter to fit the carb
Not sure how i'm going to do it but i'll think of something i hope.....

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I think that this is the latest version of the Orange bike shown earlier in this thread. It has different wheels and the color is different and they gave it a new name, but essentially the same bike.

ocscully

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Here is a head start on ways to make a manifold to relocate your carb.

Affordable Go Karts - Curved manifold

You would need to adjust the sizes on the materials to fit your parts but the technique would get the job done. I'm sure if you do some searches here or on google you will find many ideas that would work.

ocscully
Actually i dont think i will have to relocate it

I was looking at this

And he has a special mount system and jack shaft
I'm guessing by looking at the pictures

It pushed his motor up so far that he couldn't bolt the carb on correctly

I'm not using a jack shaft tho (to poor to afford it to be honest)
So I hope i don't run into any problems

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@NewBiker - Glad you bought it, you saved me a trip up to Charlotte! ;)

Do you think the 29" mountain bike on the website might work equally well for conversion? When I sat on the 29" Onyx I really liked how it felt, but I didn't like that it only had 1 gear and no calliper brakes. If the 29" mountain bike is a do-able conversion, I might just order one.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
the bike that this thread is about with the 29 inch wheels is def sweet for the money and it looks big enough for a motor i've fit 2 strokes in smaller frames than that. Also i love my motorized aluminum cannondale m1000

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
the bike that this thread is about with the 29 inch wheels is def sweet for the money and it looks big enough for a motor i've fit 2 strokes in smaller frames than that. Also i love my motorized aluminum cannondale m1000
I just noticed something today that has me worrying.

Wont know till my engine comes if it will be a problem tho

Basically the back tire looks like it's so wide that the chain is going to bite it
or either the chain will be biting the frame because of how the frame "bends" in towards the back where the V brakes are

I really hope it works :-||