Red Panther Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Just back from the Deathrace heres my Panther Whizzer Supermoto.Forks and tank from Sportscarpat.Worksman wheels that were supposed to go on WZ 001.Panther frame modified by myself with what Pat called a " girlie loop ". I replaced the downtube with the upper tube off of a girls schwinn which allowed the motor to be mounted 1 1/2 inches lower in the frame.I let my 15 year old grandson ride this in the race. He's been on a motocross track but never on a roadcourse. Ran 2 heat races and ran about mid pack in the main. The bike had only been once around the block before it hit the racetrack so it had some bugs to work out(still does).I know that short pipes not doing it any good but was part of the original design(was gonna be a boardtracker)

Attachments

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Thats a cool looking ride, it must be loud with that shortie exhaust.

Real curious what kind of mods the motor got, tell us what you're running.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Yep, cool looking ride. The loop is very subtle but I bet it makes all the difference in the world. Hope the race was fun. My brother and I did the 90 mile Whizz-in ride on Saturday while you guys were buring up the race track. An amazing thing happened after the Whizz-in ride. I actually scored a 1950 Panther frame from some guy! Now I just need a girls frame but after everyone sees your build I bet the girls frames will all be gone.

doug713

Dec 5, 2009
lake havasu city AZ
Thanks guys. To answer some questions the motor was obtained with the help of Quenton he did all his usual mods before sending it to me.(Actually to Pat who then sent it to me this is the motor Pat used to mockup WZ#001) Its not as loud as you would think but i'm gonna work on a longer exhaust with a reverse megaphone for a broader powerband.The downtube is very subtle most people wouldn't know if i didn't tell em but it made a lot of difference squeezing the motor in the frame with Pats tank.Wish i coulda made to the Whizz-in maybe next year. And by the way WZ#001 will be getting something very special.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
And by the way WZ#001 will be getting something very special.
Boy, your just full of surprizes. Where the **** did you get the overhead valve conversion? It looks brand new! That will be so cool on your Flyer. The guy with the fastest bikes at the Whizz-in, and they were VERY fast, had the enclosed valve cover overhead valve conversions. No one had this set-up but they spoke highly of it. Said it was more powerful then the enclosed OHV version and that it was not being made anymore. I hear you actually have to carry an oil can with you and give the rocker arms a squirt once in awhile. I can tell WZ001 went to a good home!

Hi Doug,

Lookin' good!

I have the details & tested pipe with the reverse cone. Contact me for information. I think you need to install rollers on the end of the rockers to remove stress from the valve guides. Should be easy to do, and watch the camshaft lift because of the rocker ratio.

I don't know if it produces as much power as Fred's OHV version, however we got within 1 MPH of his on the last Roller Road Shootout with my flathead motor.

I will attach a picture of the exhaust used on the run.

Did I mention......Lookin' Good!

Have fun,

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Quenton,
When you find time maybe you can fill us in on the details with the various OHV conversions. I saw a couple last weekend at the Delta Whizz-in. In fact I saw three of them and two had Royal Enfield three speed transmissions. One guy flew by me at well over 50 mph. He was hauling. These Whizzer guys had the valve cover version heads. They also mentioned the exposed rocker system was equally as powerful if not more and that they need a bit more care. There are at least four or five guys around here that want the specifics.
Pat

Last edited:
Hi Sportscarpat,

There were several exposed rocker systems offered for the Vintage Whizzers, some had production numbers below 50 [very rare].

The issues with the vintage version were the need to "oil" and clean up the mess [oil everywhere].

I have looked at the earlier versions [Terry McAllister and I discussed altering the headbolt pattern on the vintage units to fit the New edition NE motors, sadly he passed away soon after], and can tell you the combustion chamber is similar to the Version from Fred, therefore I question any big differences in power between them. They all use about the same size valves, because there isn't much room in the top of the head.

Knowing what I know, I would only consider using Fred's OHV kit. He makes them for both Vintage and New Edition motors, and the only issue is the height. Almost all frames must be altered to allow the taller cylinder.

The biggest advantage is more torque, not RPMs. The OHV motor pulls much harder in the middle of the RPM range, however the top RPMs are less than a highly tuned flathead.

Some of the vintage exposed rocker heads have the carburetor entering the front of the cylinder, and look somewhat "different", but they were also a limited version [not many made].

A very common upgrade concerning the transmission, was to use the Albion 2 or 3 speed unit.

I will attach a picture of my friend's [Kenny Thomas] Whizzer with the Albion transmission. I will also attach another friend's {Johnny] OHV, which is "one of a kind".

Hope this is the information you requested, if not just ask again.....

Havd fun,

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Quenton,
Thanks for the info. Those are cool pictures, too. From Dougs picture which OHV system does he have? It is obviously not one of the vintage versions, nor is it the valve cover version from Fred :confused:. I am curious if you know any history to the design Doug purchased. There were two available and I bought the second one. Any experience with it? I can tell from the pictures that the rocker arm ratio will give an effective increase in lift to the stock cam so I would expect a performance gain. I have yet to receive mine so just getting my hands on it will answer a few questions, like how the rocker arm shafts are oiled. Might be messy, but should be very cool. May need a roller tip conversion to the rocker arms.
As always, thanks for sharing your valuable and interesting information.
Pat

Last edited: