Roll Your Own CDI

GoldenMotor.com

Are You Going to Roll Your Own CDI?

• Total voters

Wallyboi69

Aug 22, 2022
Hey so. . .I see that this thread is originally 11 years old but, is there anybody with knowledge/experience related to making your own cdi still kicking on the forum? I'm currently setting about making on, currently just trying to find or going to buy the 2uf capacitor. . .just asking because I'd love the help

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I'm still here, I made a couple. The problem with mine was I couldn't match the low end performance of the stock CDI and mine looked like Dr Frankenstein made it.

Reactions: Wallyboi69

Wallyboi69

Aug 22, 2022
I'm still here, I made a couple. The problem with mine was I couldn't match the low end performance of the stock CDI and mine looked like Dr Frankenstein made it.
Why do you think you were unable to match the stock-low end performance? was the cdi/ignition perhaps not building a big enough charge for low end power? I was having a problem with the stock cdi providing to weak of a spark to get my motor started. It's fairly high compression and uses an expansion chamber, though I'm not fully sure if that would be a variable. Sorry I sorta vomited out a bunch of info at you btw thanks so much for the reply!

Wallyboi69

Aug 22, 2022
We have a couple ignition coils left. Let me know. Thanks.
Hey thanks, firstly like, I hope everything is good with sbp n stuff. . .sad to see the site slowly dwindle what exactly are we talking? Like just ignition coils or cdi units?

Reactions: Pablo

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Hey thanks, firstly like, I hope everything is good with sbp n stuff. . .sad to see the site slowly dwindle what exactly are we talking? Like just ignition coils or cdi units?
Just coils

We also carry the Magnecor plug wires

NO CDI units.

We used to sell both the Jag and the Lightning. Too much bother with people who didn't know electrics, frankly.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
A little trick I learned from another forum was to use a star washer with a tab bent into the keyway to adjust the timing especially when mixing the two different magnets and TZ/ Oz/ fat magnetos... California motorbike has the Jaguar/Suzuki CDI box but they are advanced a little so the washer helps dial it all in

Attachments

Reactions: WECSOG and Pablo

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I’m satisfied with the performance of the stock cdi, I get 8k rpm, that’s plenty. I built mine just to learn, after getting it all together and running it I went back to the stock cleaner looking unit.

Reactions: Pablo