whats a better motor

GoldenMotor.com

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi all
Ok all you guys that have a Q Matic honda/ha sheng what ever..
and greyhound or what ever that harbor freight motor is..
So witch one is better also on the last thread about best motors you guys went off on those honda clone trail bike engines . What about motors that are a direct bolt up to Q Matic . Quenton I know you have mentioned a hole slew of eng.s
so realisticly size and weight what has more HP....does anybody have a higher HP.set up with the Q Matic ..If so Please let me know

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I got the harbor freight greyhound, I am VERY happy with how sturdy it seems to be built
and if you have the right parts already, and the right coupon, and you don't need to buy a whole kit, getting the HF saves A LOT of money!

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
Nothing at all then you could use a jack shaft and make a shifter bike.What I meant is motors that mate with Q Matic trannys.The great thing about this hobbie is there are no rules the only thing that limits you is your imagination......
Flex...........

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
using only the centrifugal clutch and not a gearbox would mean having to offset the motor to the right for chain alignment to the rear sprocket. I would like to get a 4 stroke for a customers bike, but with all the bad gearbox's out there Iam a little scared to purchase one. does anyone have experience with 4 strokes and there gearbox. and what kind (namebrand) do you have. ( I know the saying "you get what you pay for") I dont want to pay a arm and a leg for one either. I just want to get something that will be problem free (somewhat) for the customer at least. cause onsc its out of my hands I dont want a bunch of phone calls saying there something wrong! I just want a good 4 stroke w/ gearbox for the money. Can anyone help me please?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Well, I say, become an EZ motorbike dealer. If you are at all good at fabricating you can make a throttle linkage for the harbor freight greyhound like I did, and pair that with an EZ transmission. If you buy from a dealer it will cost you $275 per transmission and then anywhere from $100 to $80 for a harbor freight 2.5hp engine. This means that you are looking at a cost of 355-375. Now with tanks, sprockets, throttles, chain,and mounts bought in decent quantities you can probably get sprockets for less than $15, tanks for less than $10, throttles for less than $10, chain for less than $5, and mounts for less than $15. This is the way I would see you going if you wanted a good setup to sell. Talk to Quenton, he'll help you. If you don't go with that, then you'd need to go with grubee G4's, but they hardly match the reliability and overall money saving found with an EZ and HF setup :)

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
I am a dealer I can work out something with you .And yes the Q Matic is bullett proff. and as to the motor alignment thats why I said jack shaft. With a jack shaft you can offset it any way you want and thats why I suggested a shifter set up. set up motor in center use jack shaft to line up motor sprocket then on other side you can you can ajust that sprocket to line up with stock bike sprocket
if gearing isnt right play with differnt sprocket sizes you know change up the gearings and if you have a 7 speed hub that would realy give you alot of choices. just my 2 cents for what thats worth... Flex ... it just takes some commond sense planing and sit back and realy studie your problem then use your imagination...good planing doesnt cost a thing..........and LS16 is right you need some skills
which I am sure you have or you wouldnt want to be in this hobbie. He is right about fabing something that is a whole nother skill set making a jack shaft set up you would have to be able
to weld cut and drill metal. Not for everybody ...sometimes when I carry on about making things
I forget I have been fabing metal for a very long time and I look at things the way others might not get..So I do understand if you dont get what I am saying..................................................

Last edited:

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
felt MP cruiser, speed-Iam not looking to break any records! moderate. budget- I dont want to spend more than 350 for a set-up. maybe 400 for a better set up

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
You want quality, reliability, and a really nice guy who is always willing to help you make your project right the FIRST time, go with a staton friction drive. Whether you do a 4 or 2 stroke, they are all within your budget and are VERY good, U.S. made, quality :D

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
The Q matic is bar none the best you get what you pay for. if you want years of trouble free ridding ..........not sure about staton .if ls says its good he probaly had a good experince..
but did you see the way they mount very ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
no way in heck you're getting a complete working Qmatic setup, EVEN if you use an HF engine for under $400. Still need to do so much tweaking too to get the HF to work...