Gas Tank refurbishment

GoldenMotor.com

Dirt Nerd

Apr 15, 2009
Erie, Co
so my tank has sat idle for a few decades. I'm sure there's some surface rust and crud in there.

I'm skeptical of the pour-in coatings that you can get. I had a motorcycle guy tell me he sent old tanks to get boiled out at the radiator shop.

What's a whizzer to do?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Knock off the loose rust in the tank using the nut&bolt or gravel method.
I have had great success using the 2 part novolac epoxy coating for sealing gas tanks.

cetar

Jun 15, 2010
atl. ga
I saw you bike pix. You gonna restore or go origional. Restore - Radiator shop & loose outside finish. Origional I would plug it, then add water & about a cup of muratic acid to clean any rust. repete as necessary then add some Ospho that will seal any rust. Then add a little oil until you get ready to gas up, Also add an extra in line filter for awhile. Good to go

Hi guys,

Had several tanks coated and it made a hugh mess about 2 years later. Spent a lot of hours with bolts to remove the coating, then treated with OSPHO.

I no longer use any coating inside. I have raditor shop boil out and pressure test for leaks. Then use OSPHO to make sure any residue is converted.

If the tank is already in paint, be careful as almost any solution will damage the paint.

Have fun,