Suspension Fork on Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Logorrhea

Feb 15, 2011
Oregon
So, I've been in the process of a mental construction of my first build. I'm ordering a 80cc (68cc) Skyhawk engine kit from Spooky Tooth Cycles tonight. Then I'll be in search of the ideal bike. I'm really drawn to the idea of a old Schwinn, but then installing a suspension fork with disk brakes to it. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about the sizing of forks in comparison to the frame. Not sure if my question is more belonging on a mountain bike thread or what, but figure there is someone on here who can help. Are forks universal in size? Are there any major red flags I'm unaware of in doing this?

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
So, I've been in the process of a mental construction of my first build. I'm ordering a 80cc (68cc) Skyhawk engine kit from Spooky Tooth Cycles tonight. Then I'll be in search of the ideal bike. I'm really drawn to the idea of a old Schwinn, but then installing a suspension fork with disk brakes to it. Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about the sizing of forks in comparison to the frame. Not sure if my question is more belonging on a mountain bike thread or what, but figure there is someone on here who can help. Are forks universal in size? Are there any major red flags I'm unaware of in doing this?
Check out Venice Motor Bikes link here....he's built all kinds of bikes with suspension forks and disc brakes....an incredibly gifted guy ....

Salty.shft.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
well the tube on the top of the fork can be 1" or 1 1/8 " and the length of that tube could be longer or shorter,,measure the original from your frame and go from there when searching for the suspention fork,need to match up close to the original tube size

Logorrhea

Feb 15, 2011
Oregon
Right on, thanks. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for frames, suspension forks, and a new place to buy the 68cc engine kit. Looks like Spooky Tooth Cycles is down until they find new ownership. I'll post some photos of what I decide upon hopefully sooner than later.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been exploring the same idea and here's what I've discovered by asking.

Older, earlier high end mountain bikes with suspension forks used a 1" steerer. Not so on the new generation. They've all gone to 1 1/8". I was told to check out thrift stores, used bike places and garage sales for an older MTB. The stem length is also important.
I was told early Rock Shock (not sure of the spelling) forks are 1" but they're getting hard to find.
Keep us informed. I'm sure there are quite a few cruiser owners who'd like to add a little softness to their rides. The springers just don't seem to offer the same degree of shock absorbing I've felt on a suspension fork.
Tom

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I swapped out the solid forks on my Della Cruz with some Omni's. The Omni's were off a MTB but I do not remember what bike. The steerer tube was too long and I had to cut it to fit. But other then that it was a straight swap.

Attachments

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've put RockShox on a cruiser twice: first time back in 1997 on a Schwinn Cruiser Six and second time last year on my '99 Knuckle. Once you know the steering tube diameter on your frame, it's pretty straightforward and easy to do.

On my SC6, it was a direct swap - both were 1 1/8", threaded, and had same head tube height. I bought the fork + brakes used from a friend who broke his Specialized Rockhopper, and I ran into no snags whatsoever when I put them on my bike. Even the V-brakes (which were relatively exotic at the time) fit on my rear Diacomp brake posts. The end result was a pleasing upgrade!

For my Knuckle aka "OCD", I bought a new threadless RockShox Dart 2 disc brake fork in 1 1/8" from BlueSkyCycling.com as well as a stem for a total of only $105. When they arrived and I went to install, I found that I needed to get a threadless headset (wiki link for diff), another $20 from my LBS. If you are switching from threaded to threadless, you must replace the bearing cups, which are included in a threadless headset kit. You must also have a stem for threadless forks.

New threadless suspension forks always come with a very long steering tube so that you can cut it to personally fit your ride. It's an easy swap and worth it, IMHO.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Aleman,
Thanks for that wiki link. There is some very good info there that anyone replacing or servicing a fork should read. It also has a lot of good links that would be valuable to any biker, pedal or motorized. Thanks again.
Tom

rockndrole

Aug 1, 2011
sharonville
I swapped out the solid forks on my Della Cruz with some Omni's. The Omni's were off a MTB but I do not remember what bike. The steerer tube was too long and I had to cut it to fit. But other then that it was a straight swap.
Hi dave31
i am a glad we both have same taste, i want to add Suspension Fork on genesis onyx 29''cruiser bike, can you tell me what kind of suspension i have to look for or what i need to keep in mind when looking for one

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I just did this with my cruser. Find the thickness of the steerer tube and if it has threads or not and go from there. I had to extend the threads on my 1" steerer tube and I had to cut it down to size of old tube. You can see how it came out in my putting a 6.5 hp engine on a bike thread. I bought my forks from AGK and he realy went beyond the call of duty helping me. The ones I bought cost less then $100.

Last edited:

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't find a threadless headset for a 1 1/8" steerer tube that will work with a 1" designed head tube.

rockndrole

Aug 1, 2011
sharonville
g8 job don, i have a Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser Bicycle and want to add suspension fork which is hard to find one

how did you manage the marriage between those to parts was it a snug fit or did you tweak a bit or is it universal or is it one fit all

Attachments

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
rockndrole not at all i just used the M/B head set in the Cruiser frame. it was a bolt on mod, no problem at all.

Don P

Last edited: