Early H-D tank construction (appears different)

GoldenMotor.com

mp43sniper

Jan 6, 2011
PA
Over the past couple of days I've been searching and sorting through tons of posts and gazillions of pictures to decide how I want my first BTR to look. One thing I'm noticing is that it appears that Harley Davidson tanks are larger and made differently from Indians and most of the rest. I'm seeing that most early motorbikes had tanks which fit inside the frame rails, while it looks to me like H-D tanks were built like modern tanks with a tunnel down the middle.

Can anyone confirm this and provide details on how they worked (2 petcocks, an equilizer tube, or?), etc?

I think I like the H-D look better but since it would be a much more complicated way of constructing the tank, I'll probably do the traditional in-frame tank on the first one.

Thanks,
Craig

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
The earliest Harley tanks were 2 parts, top (oil) & bottom (gas) held together with straps over a single top tube...

In 1909 they changed to 2 half's side by side of a new double top tube frame.

In 1916 the shape of the tank began to have softer rounder edges and continued to evolve from there...

Hope this helps.

-Kirk

Attachments

mp43sniper

Jan 6, 2011
PA
Thanks Kirk, I understand now. It makes sense and wouldn't be such a pain. My Honda CB350 has a very tall tunnel and requires an equalizer tube under the frame rail. So every time you go to take off the tank, you spill gas everywhere. With gas in one side and oil in the other that wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks again,
Craig

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Monark V-twin I had when I was a kid. Had a two piece tank with a tool box one one side had a flush door and a gas tank on the other side. The gas tank bolted to the bars with clamps and had I think studs sticking out to bolt the tool box on,with a trim strip that went in between the two. Open the tool box door and bolt the two together......Curt