Expansion Chamber Exhaust Broke Inside

GoldenMotor.com

Andrey

Jun 7, 2010
BayArea, California

Well that's the pipe that I had installed onto my motor when all of a sudden the cat converter or some pipes inside the chamber broke off. There is a huge rattling noise and performance went down.

Any one had the same problem?
Any help on what to do? Thanks.:-||

Andrey

Jun 7, 2010
BayArea, California
Its sort of like a muffler with a baffle. I also thought that expansion chambers were empty I guess not. I gave it to someone who knows how to weld and I'll see what turns out. I keep you updated if anyone has the same problem or in the future. Sorry I forgot to take the pictures of the broken pipe.

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
Expansion chambers almost always have turns and curves built into them to accommodate their fit within the engine bay. Gases and waves do not behave in the same way when encountering turns. Waves travel by reflecting and spherical radiation. Turns causes a loss in the sharpness of the wave forms and therefore must be kept to a minimum to avoid unpredictable losses.

Expansion chamber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Now I feel ripped off I think I only got one Hamster power on mine:( That pipe must come with more of the little boogers.

Last edited:

phyrstorm

Feb 8, 2011
no,la
im having the same problem, and there is definitely something inside the muffler... itd be great to know if its fixable. any results yet?

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Sounds like the rivets that hold the baffle in place might have vibrated loose.
Id try drilling them out very gently with the right sized bit and checking to see whats moving, then use slightly larger rivets to put it all right.
good luck
BBB

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I know exactly what you're talking about, and I was trying to see if anyone else had a pipe like this. Mine is not empty inside, but has a secondary pipe that sits inside of it with a couple poorly drilled holes. It's almost like it's a "fake" expansion chamber.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i have the same pipe. its stupid because it does have baffling inside! attached to the lower outlet is a pipe with holes welded inside of another pipe with holes, and it restricts power huge! i cut mine open and removed all the baffling and while it may be louder it really pulls in the high rpms now!

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Did you take any pictures of what it looks like?
thanks
no i didnt and i welded it back up, but it is most definitely what would break off inside, the main tube that is the exhaust pipe runs in about 4 inches and is capped off, then it has holes all over the sides of it, and another sealed tube placed over it with holes drilled in it, mine were all plugged up with carbon, i just chopped everything off

jpman

May 2, 2011
ontario can.
hey i just bought the same pipe and when i got it home i looked in side it and it looks like nothing more than a muffler encased in an expansion chamber shell. it's a ripoff