need suggestions on what/how to motorize this custom trike

GoldenMotor.com

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
I picked up this custom made tricycle made from OCC chopper parts and a tricycle rear kit. I think it is pretty slick, and it is rideable. They guy was moving and needed it gone.. good thing I travel a lot for work, and check craigslist all the time.. 30 bux got it for me.. **** the 4.25 x 20 inch rims/tires are worth more than that itself.

I am thinking about motoring it, and looking for some ideas. It has a space in the back of it that could possibly take a regular 4 stroke, horizontal shaft motor.. but how to interface with axle. I need to reweld supports for the outside tricycle mounts, and to be able to mount occ fenders.

I hope I am not posting the wrong forum, as this is not a chopper per se...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That thing will never work. You got took...My advice...send it to me and I'll take it off your hands and then you won't have to worry about it anymore. :)

You got a great deal and a trike with a lot of potential. A four stroke with a centrifugal clutch would be my advice. The two rear axles could be driven by a single driven shaft with chains and sprockets allowing for a variety of gear ratios based on sprocket selection. There appears to be plenty of room for any of the more popular four stroke engines now available. It would only take some fabrication and time. Nevertheless, I still say...pack it up and ship it off to me and I'll reimburse the purchase price. :)
Tom

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Go with Statons gearbox if you like 4 stroke engines. I spoke with Staton earlier this week and they said they will have an add on to there gear box that will give a 3 speed setup to the new or current gearboxes soon. You could drive both rear wheels at the same time also.

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
I am thinking of

I would think that making a jackshaft setup, and installing a freewheel on the jackshaft for the pedal power.

I am also thinking about getting an old bike with a sturmey wheel to then cut out the hub and somehow mount it in there.(on the jackshaft)

I need some ideas and see what others have done.

I think a smallish 4 cycle engine with a centrifigual is the way to go.. probably can be had cheap, but, the 197cc 6 hp from Harbor Freight can be had with coupon for 197 too.

I am getting ready to do a Niagra cycle works order for some big, swept back cruiser bars, some weld on mounts for v-brakes, and a dual pual brake lever.

I need to weld on mounts on the front forks, and on both back wheels, after I build up some beefy support frames out of angle. I have parts galore of occ choppers.. about 4 bike equivalent of parts.

Before I consider any engine, need to make sure it has some good brakes.

I am gonna get my pop to help me as back when he was young, he was a navy machinist. You know the guys who had to make do and weld and build stuff when the boat is in the middle of th atlantic. You had to make do with what you got.. he is pretty creative too.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We have a trike and recumbent forum on this site. Check it out and see how the other trikers did it.
I cant wait to see it finished. It looks like you have room to put a big Lifan motor in that front triangle.
Alternatively, you could put an electric hub motor on the front wheel and load up the front triangle with batteries.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Cool trike. A differential axle from a garden tractor would give drive to both wheels and better traction without tire scuffing in turns like a live axle. I see them on ebay sometimes. Peerless is one brand. I see these axles used on four wheel rental pedal bikes at the beach. They are mounted in flange type pillow blocks. Good luck.