Motorized Vintage Sears SpaceLiner bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

SpaceMan

Jun 13, 2010
pittsburgh, pa
HOWDY!
I just jumped into the hobby today by buying a vintage Sears SpaceLiner bicycle with one of the typical currently made "Jackshaft" style gasoline engine mounted to it. I got it off craigslist for $250. My ambition is to style it like an early motorcycle---maybe a fictional WWI French Army vehicle--- but we'll see how this goes.

BRAKES
The coaster brake does not seem safe enough so my first move was to investigate how to add brakes. The helpful guy at the local bicycle shop said the current forks would not accept a disk brake but might be modified for calipers. However, calipers would work very poorly on the steel rims, requiring me to switch to aluminum rims. Bottom line: he suggested that I but new forks, an aluminum wheel and use calipers. But I'd rather not lose this cool fork if I don't have to! And his solution looked to cost some $250, and I was disappointed because I'd love to do this on the cheap, if I can. I saw a few posts regarding drum brakes and wonder if this might be a possible solution for me?

HELMET
Again, after reading several threads here, a full face helmet sounds wise, but I think I will have to strike a bargain between a higher measure of safety and a lower profile (I don't want to get busted for driving this thing). I think a full-face helmet will draw too much attention and am considering a shorty-style motorcycle helmet.

-----

That's it for now. I welcome any constructive suggestions or recommendations. Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,
"SpaceMan"

Attachments

Last edited:

SpaceMan

Jun 13, 2010
pittsburgh, pa
Update: Today I substituted a chrome mountain bike front fork and added some (front only) v-brakes. Though I am disappointed to lose the funky cool vintage fork, I believe I'll have some reliable stopping power. Now I just need to finesse the brake installation a little---I put some parts on wrong. But I am tired and it will wait for another day.

So...adjusting the brake installation + obtaining a helmet...then it's time to RIDE!!!

SpaceMan

Jun 13, 2010
pittsburgh, pa
Update:

I broke the throttle grip internals so had to wait for a new assembly from Spooky Tooth. I hope to get some time to repair it tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tim (aka SpaceMan)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice ride man! Gotta love the vintage stuff (^)

If ya wanna keep "funky cool vintage fork" as I would, that you can always have that drum brake laced into your original rim (which prolly doesn't have the tell-tale flat sides) or even an entire new front wheel w/drum already on it. Sorry I didn't see this sooner & they're not the cheapest but Worksman has entire wheels w/drum for less than your "helpful guy at the local bicycle shop" wanted and they'd simply bolt right on like any other wheel, I went with the Sturmey Archer drum with built in genny for lights: Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum Brake Front Hub 36 hole X-FDD laced to the original steel rim to keep it as vintage lookin' as possible - that X-FDD is like $80, a lil steep for "just" a hub... but not so bad at all given it's my brakes & lights too ;)

But hey - havin' any brakes is ossum lol, even if ya gotts set the original fork aside *shrug*

I know you've already ordered one - but should you get tired of the plastic throttle & it's shenanigans, NAPA has an all metal one fer like $10-15... no kill switch tho. It's still made in china/taiwan w/e & the grips suk, but it's solid that's for sure - even the twist tube is metal too.

NAPA part # 7-03921

SpaceMan

Jun 13, 2010
pittsburgh, pa
Thanks, BarelyAwake.

I actually tried to find a sturmey-archer hub brake after reading a post here on thses forums but the "ancient-bike-store-that-has-everything" didn't have one and I was eager to get the bike on the road. That's why I went with the modern fork and V-brakes. Maybe in the future, if I retain interest in this project long enough, I'll go back and redo this as you have suggested.

And since I already have the new throttle, it will suffice until it breaks, I suppose.

Cheers,
Tim "SpaceMan"

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, gettin' on the road is defo the highest of priorities no doubt :D Don't ferget to share a few more pics ;)

SpaceMan

Jun 13, 2010
pittsburgh, pa
-------UPDATE-------

BRAKES:
The V-Brakes wouldn't do the job because the funky original wheel did not have a proper surface for the brake pad to get contact. I was fearing I'd have to go the drum brake option---but really didn't want to spend $100+. I went back to the bike shop and was able to lay my hands on an aluminum 26" wheel+tire for $15 and scurried home to try it out...

Success! The v-brakes grip the new wheel like a son-of-a-gun and it will stop DEAD if I need it to. Now all I have to do is put my cool whitewall tire on that rim---when I get around to it.

MAIDEN VOYAGE:

Her maiden voyage was a 1 mile trip down to the coffee shop. I used the pedals as much as possible but motored up all the hills. I live in a neighborhood that is nothing but hills!

The only misadventure was to accidentally disconnect my fuel line as I was chaining the bike up to a public bike stand. Oooops! It dumped about a coffee cup of gas on the sidewalk before I noticed it while sipping my ice coffee from inside the cafe. I ran out, reconnected the tube and spotted a cop down the street, turning in. BUSTED?

I unchained the bike and moved it away from the gas spill and hurried back inside. WHEW! Danger averted. The gas quickly evaporated. And the cop never really saw me. When I got home I put extra zip ties on the hosing to try and prevent a recurrence.

NEXT?:

Gonna shop Target for some sort of cheap black ladies leather clutch purse to hang under the seat as a tool bag.

Until next time...SpaceMan Out!

weklj

Aug 25, 2010
illinois
Spaceman I am currently building a spaceliner. My question is did you experience any difficulties with chain clearance due to the extra thin frame tube that runs from head to rear of frame and did you have to change crank?

Thanks

SpaceMan

Jun 13, 2010
pittsburgh, pa
I didn't build this, I bought somebody else's completed project. Yess, all the clearances are tight. I can take some photos if you need to see anything in particular. Just let me know...

weklj

Aug 25, 2010
illinois
Hi spaceman, been a while since we last spoke. I figured out a way to mount my motor. Had to extend chain, after some fine tuning runing like a top. I attached some photos of her since completed in October.

Last edited:

weklj

Aug 25, 2010
illinois
Sounds Great, a really fun Bike to build even more to ride. I look forward to viewing your pics as you progress, and will be happy to share any experiences I had building mine.

Last edited:

mykustomcruizer

May 16, 2010
pa
always will i started my own start to finish this website is the best keep it up spaceman i want to see some pics i like the wwi wwii theme bikes there cool looking

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Nice ride man! Gotta love the vintage stuff (^)

If ya wanna keep "funky cool vintage fork" as I would, that you can always have that drum brake laced into your original rim (which prolly doesn't have the tell-tale flat sides) or even an entire new front wheel w/drum already on it. Sorry I didn't see this sooner & they're not the cheapest but Worksman has entire wheels w/drum for less than your "helpful guy at the local bicycle shop" wanted and they'd simply bolt right on like any other wheel, I went with the Sturmey Archer drum with built in genny for lights: Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum Brake Front Hub 36 hole X-FDD laced to the original steel rim to keep it as vintage lookin' as possible - that X-FDD is like $80, a lil steep for "just" a hub... but not so bad at all given it's my brakes & lights too ;)

But hey - havin' any brakes is ossum lol, even if ya gotts set the original fork aside *shrug*

I know you've already ordered one - but should you get tired of the plastic throttle & it's shenanigans, NAPA has an all metal one fer like $10-15... no kill switch tho. It's still made in china/taiwan w/e & the grips suk, but it's solid that's for sure - even the twist tube is metal too.

NAPA part # 7-03921

that hub has the same size axle as a worksman standard? and will take the 11g spokes?

broke atm but i definitely do need a good front brake for my bike, so that would be next on the list followed by a full face helmet and lighting.