48cc or 66/88cc???

GoldenMotor.com

Timmyo

Mar 10, 2010
Milton, Florida
I don't live in a lot of hilly areas and I only weigh 130 pounds, however I do want to go on some longer rides and might pack food and tools and such, will 48cc do the job?, I don't mind pedaling to help the bike along, Im confused as what I want to buy, I will be putting a kit on a mountain bike, I was going to put it on a cruiser but i changed my mind. Ive been searching for an answer about the difference and it doesn't seem to be a big difference in cc or power... I also might do some light offroading but nothing extreme.

some people say the 48cc has a little more top end, which I would rather have...
but people claim the 66cc can go up hills easier.. will the 18cc difference make a huge improvement climbing hills? if not Id rather go for 48cc... im cheap and would rather save a few dollars lol.

Timmyo

Mar 10, 2010
Milton, Florida
After watching that video im about slapping myself in the face for thinking 48cc would be good enough, thanks for the quick reply fairracing :] Ill end up getting my kit probably when school lets out which will be a while, Im still doing my research, and I have learned alot. Ive seen your videos before fairracing and I must say it must feel awesome to have great footage of motorized bicycles, I cant wait till I get one, I rode a 66cc bicycle but it was only once and that wasn't enough. :]

cigron

Nov 18, 2009
wormleysburg pa
I had A 48cc with 48 tooth sprocket I have A large hill by my house.
When I would get close to the top I had to peddle.On the flat
it would cruise 23 mph and top out at 28 mph.I now have A 66cc
with A 44 tooth procket they were the same on that hill.
But I cruise at A easy 25 mph and top out close to 40 mph
althought 35 is more realistic.dance1

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The 66 has both more power and more top end- if that's what you're after-
but to get it, you may need the newer 66 NTS carb or a billet intake.

I think maybe this attitude of higher top end was born from the same old stock 50cc carb being shipped with the 66's- They 4 stroke quite a bit then- the billet eliminates that and the 66 carb is now made for the larger engine- I've put the billet on, but not the 66 yet- it runs great just like that- and for less than $15.

get a 36 sprocket and some thinner smooth tread road tires, and you'll be flying

but 66 much louder and more vibration-

solution here:

front shock

shock post

rubber engine mounts

and 36 keeps revs down at same cruise speed

perpendicular MX bars for best grip

long poo poo pipe finally has 66 down to "moped" sound levels.

going 27 x 1 1/4 on the back as well as the front soon.

Attachments

Last edited: