Kent made Next La Jolla....

GoldenMotor.com

rbake

Mar 8, 2010
Central Texas
will it fit?? any problems with an aluminum frame? It's pretty thick, I was going to strip off the paint and scuff it. Put a small round fuel tank behind the seat. Bottom bar is pretty big, oval like. Top bar is round. Big seat. CHEAP $99 at wal mart. Called Next and they say that Kent makes it and puts the Next lable on it to sell at Wal Mart.

huffy-davidson

Jan 30, 2013
florida
i just mounted my first 66/80cc bgf motor on a kent lajolla i got from walmart, had to press the frame to get motor mount to fit in front but other than that it looks beautiful!! and even with the bad things i have heard about bgf its a very good motor so far just put 40 miles on it in the first day and it never gave me a problem just putted right along

goodcooper

Aug 9, 2013
nc
hate to bump this thread, but what do you mean by "press the frame"?

i just got a bgf for the $85 kent la jolla from walmart and i also noticed the bottom bar was kind of wide... was probably going to try to find longer ubolts for it....

is the "next" another version of the la jolla, or same bike?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Goodcooper, Welcome to the forum.
Sorry for the remark you recieved from another member. It and your response was removed so your thread can proceed without the friction.

Take a look at the links posted by Dave31. There is a lot of good information there that you might find helpful.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.

Tom

goodcooper

Aug 9, 2013
nc
Goodcooper, Welcome to the forum.
Sorry for the remark you recieved from another member. It and your response was removed so your thread can proceed without the friction.

Take a look at the links posted by Dave31. There is a lot of good information there that you might find helpful.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.

Tom
thanks.... i was just emailed the BGF installation document, looks pretty good, as long as my dimensions are alright, i think i know what i'll have to do... it looks pretty straightforward... i get the bike on monday and the kit arrives on wednesday, since it's from walmart it's not a big deal if i have to take it back, but from a few of the threads i've read, maybe coaster brakes aren't the best...

i thought the bike would work great though, simple, comfortable, lightweight... but what do i know :/

we'll see....

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It can be done, but it's not really a good choice. The motor will barely fit, and it ends up being high in the frame. Low is better. You'll have to use an offset manifold. The frame is strong, but everything else on the bike is toy store quality, so expect to have to replace everything.

goodcooper

Aug 9, 2013
nc
It can be done, but it's not really a good choice. The motor will barely fit, and it ends up being high in the frame. Low is better. You'll have to use an offset manifold. The frame is strong, but everything else on the bike is toy store quality, so expect to have to replace everything.
like what? the wheels and tires? doesn't seem to be much to this bike, the coaster brakes?

and when you say they'll need to be replaced, do you mean over time?

the high mounting engine and size problems are very valid concerns...

what would be an easily accessible cruiser style bike that would be a better choice? comfort is a major concern...

preferably for <$125

i kind of liked the idea and simplicity of coaster brakes... just a single clutch lever... i like simple things, this will be more of a fun thing than a "i need some reliable transportation to get myself to work"

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
like what? the wheels and tires? doesn't seem to be much to this bike, the coaster brakes?

and when you say they'll need to be replaced, do you mean over time?

the high mounting engine and size problems are very valid concerns...

what would be an easily accessible cruiser style bike that would be a better choice? comfort is a major concern...

preferably for <$125

i kind of liked the idea and simplicity of coaster brakes... just a single clutch lever... i like simple things, this will be more of a fun thing than a "i need some reliable transportation to get myself to work"
Any single wall alloy rims with 14g spokes will have a very short life on a motor bicycle. A coaster brake is ok, but you'll need to add a front brake.

I like the alloy frames made by Kent bicycles, but usually everything else on a Kent bicycle will be low grade. The Atomic BB started out as a Kent bicycle. It's almost 3 years old now, and about the only stock part left on it is the frame.

goodcooper

Aug 9, 2013
nc
well i was set on taking the bike back when i noticed they include the bigger brackets for the front motor mount...

i kind of losely mounted everything to check on fit...

it looks quite cool though, color scheme... i have two problems, one was expected, the intake, i'm about to put the order in for the offset intake, shouldn't be a big deal...

also i'm noticing the spark plug wire isn't quite going to clear the top bar there... it looks like i may be able to shave it down though

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I wonder if Kent made this bike frame as well, I can't remember the name of it as was built with a Skyhawk when they still used NT carbs but the geometry looks the same with the up-swept front bar.

They will motorize fine with a SBP front mount, I use them for most every bike.

You have a handsome bike that should look nice motorized but as mentioned above put a front brake on it as just a coaster brake is just silly.

Last edited:

goodcooper

Aug 9, 2013
nc
well, looking at the head of the motor, i got to thinking... why not just swap the head around front to back, then my spark plug would have plenty of clearance!

so that's what i did... another problem solved... pretty much all i gotta do now is get that offset intake and i'm good to go...

goodcooper

Aug 9, 2013
nc
uh oh, i ran into a problem.... the little arm for the coaster brake, it's got like a slotted hole that needs to fit over a piece in the hub, and with the sprocket on top i can't get the arm on there.... not sure what to do at this point... besides maybe removing a couple of the 9 sprocket bolts and.... i don't know... drilling holes in that arm?

goodcooper

Aug 9, 2013
nc
uh oh, i ran into a problem.... the little arm for the coaster brake, it's got like a slotted hole that needs to fit over a piece in the hub, and with the sprocket on top i can't get the arm on there.... not sure what to do at this point... besides maybe removing a couple of the 9 sprocket bolts and.... i don't know... drilling holes in that arm?
well duh, that sprocket needs to spin freely while the arm doesn't...

at this point i don't really know what to do besides putting that little arm in a vice and putting a few bends in it so it'll clear the bolt heads...

anybody else ever ran into this?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
well duh, that sprocket needs to spin freely while the arm doesn't...

at this point i don't really know what to do besides putting that little arm in a vice and putting a few bends in it so it'll clear the bolt heads...

anybody else ever ran into this?
Welcome to the forum goodcooper.

Coaster brakes usually need to have the brake arm bent in almost "Z" shape. You can also counter sink your sprocket bolts or try using some flat head bolts.