The HF Greyhound Challenge

GoldenMotor.com
Hi surfer mike,

HS motor can be purchased below $200.00 and the HF can be purchased below $100.00 [when on sale].

The HS is ready to do business as a MB motor, where as the HF will need a lot of modifications to work [exhaust, throttle, governor removal, custom motor mount, etc].

The Q-Matic drive is available to fit either motor.

HS & Honda have wide RPM range [2000 to 7500 RPMs] whereas the HF has a narrow range [800 to 3600.....4500 with governor removed]. The HF motor revs slow and the HS or Honda rev quickly.

Have fun,

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Yes the HS is a Honda clone. I don't know the price of the Honda but it is safe to say it is higher than the HS engine. They both mount the same way. I don't think I will ever build anything 2 stroke. I am a 4 stoke fan all the way. I like the sound of 4 stroke too.

Jim

Who wants to play? I can get enough parts together that we could have several Greyhounds for the little Honda to outrun! I do also have HS 50 bike which is an old middleweight and runs well enough to prove it too has what it takes!

Looking forward to meeting my new competitors,

Mike

I think Mike also mentioned the HS equiped bike in the challenge.

The Honda & HS motors are very close in power, with the Honda having more torque on the bottom end and the HS normally has a little more top end. I don't know why this is the case but the Honda has a higher compression ratio, and could be part of the reason.

Have fun,

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Surfer mike, I bought my Honda for 231 shipped, and the "street" price of the HS seems to be around 175. I was not the one who began saying the HF is better and will "kill" a Honda 50, I am just prepared to put my stock single speed bikes up, taking a chance that mine will be "killed" by the Powerhouse known as the Greyhound.

The reason I mentioned my HS late in the post, was that the original verbage was "Honda 50 Killer" and so I responded in kind.

I did check out that link, and it was indeed a complete rack-mount kit, with a Staton gearbox, from Dave in OK. So that price includes an expensive American made gear reduction box.

The price seems to be 109.00 HF, 175.oo HS, and low 200's for the Honda.

I am awaiting the competition.

Mike

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
I bought the honda for less on this web page link without the gas tank and kill switch but I don't see it now, maybe call them. I paid about $215 or so

Small Engine Warehouse: GXH50QXA - Honda Engine 2.5hp Horizontal 5/8"x1-5/8" Keyed Shaft, Overhead valve LOS 7000 RPM
That price has not been available for a very long time and will not be repeated

I called smallenginewarehouse and they said they won't be getting any more at that price and they only have 3 Honda GX 50's available now at $260 + shipping

Last edited:

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hello guys, I'm a bit disappointed that we are not seeing several new 4-stroke builds yet to do this challenge? I certainly am not wanting to buy the lesser-performing engines and build them out to reinforce what I already know to be true.

Come on, stand up for your HF greyhounds? Lets see what they can do? BTW Surfer mike, 109.95 x2 does NOT equal 175. So you'll not be having a 2 to 1 ratio of the HF compared to the HS, and seeing that the HS performs nearly exactly to the Honda, it is certainly the most bang for your 50cc 4-stroke buck!

So, who is up for a little "building fun"?

Mike

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Give the people some time. Rome wasn't built in a day. How long has was the q-matic under testing? and No $109.99 x2 is not equal to $175 but $77 x2 is definatly cheaper than $175+shipping ($77 is what I payed for mine). You use the best price in your scenario and retail on ours.

I believe the HS will win in the right race. I under stand what you are saying the hf 79cc can go 40mph with a 8.5 gear reduction but the centrifugal starts you off at 13mph. I get it. Your engine has a longer power band. The price is what makes it a Honda killer and that you can get close to the same performance.

I am working on a build with the HF engine so why don't you come over to GA and we will race on my conditions.

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
You got it for $76 total? Can you imagine what they pay for them to be able to sell them for that & make a profit? Like when Walmart has something marked down from $85. to $12. I always think "how much did they pay for it that they can sell it that cheap". Really, it's amazing. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here.
That's why it's so hard to compete with China. They're stuff is so low priced.

Last edited:

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
The engine is normally 109 and it was on sale for 89 plus I had a 15% off coupon. I have a 20% off coupon I can use to buy one item that's good untill may 2010 I got out of a car magazine.

Tell me about it. I try to buy American whenever I can but damn it's near impossible with some things. I suppose when the daily wage over there is less than a pack of cigarettes that's how they can sell stuff so cheap. When Harley Davidson makes a bicycle engine I'll definetely consider it. There is a bike called a kikker hardknock that's american made in 100 and 200 cc's for under 2000$.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Glack, Theres a gaggle of those Bobbers that shows up at a local monthly m/c meet up. Those thing are a riot!
Aren't those Lifan motors? They're a copy of the Honda motor used in th Trail and many others, I think.

michaelgrav

Sep 14, 2009
sf bay area
I would rather have gears! I love the sound of my motor when Gearing!
Where I live there are steep hills to geat home but my lil MB makes it home daily!
I am in 4 the long haul. plus my bike has a cooler for beers

Attachments

Yes.

Photo shows Terry McAllister
and me
. Photo was taken at my house when Terry & Audrey McAllister dropped off the twin powered Whizzer last summer. Terry McAllister & Ron Dow donated it and I hope to ride at Bonneville in the near future. Second photo is at Lewes, DE, taken during a warm up run.

I just completed the motor modifications and will now re-design the clutch to handle the extra power.

Have fun,​

Attachments