Maine Motorized Bicycle Laws... sorta...

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The laws in Maine regarding motorized bicycles are somewhat vague at best: Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles They used to actually have a specific entry for motorized bicycles - the usual parameters regarding such things, but it disappeared last month or so. I've heard some rumors (good ones) but they're just rumors ofc.

Currently the way the site is written you may at first mistake the scooter entry for what yer lookin' for - but obv that doesn't work with the "Each wheel (not tire) is less than 10" in diameter" let alone the engine size restriction. The only remaining entry referencing motorized bikes is this byline in scooters: "Can be used on a public way like a motorized bicycle or tricycle"

I have chosen to interpret that (with the info that used to be there) as MB's are legal if they stay under 20mph (a touch unreasonable), have 3 wheels or less, and while you don't need registration or insurance you do need a operator's license (any sort) to have 'em on the road.

Please note this is an interpretation on my part and also that it includes information no longer available on that site. While I did get pulled over and the officer "checked it out" and had no further problems with me - I'd still make a few calls to see if you can't get some better info. Remember to make a coupla calls tho as you'll very likely get vastly different answers every time.

The regulations that used to be there and most likely still apply;

A motorized bicycle/tricycle is a vehicle that has a motor attached to a wheel and is no more than 1.5 brake horsepower and has a cylinder capacity* capable of propelling the vehicle unassisted at a speed of 25 m.p.h. or less on a level road surface. A motorized bicycle/tricycle may have foot pedals**.

1. An operator's license or a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or moped endorsement or restriction is required.
2. Registration is not required.
3. The operator of a motorized bicycle/tricycle must ride to the right, except when making a left turn.
4. The vehicle may not be operated in excess of 20 m.p.h***.
5. An operator may not ride other than astride a regular and permanently attached seat.
6. May not be used to carry more persons than the number for which it is designed.
7. A person may not attach the vehicle to a moving vehicle on a public way.
8. Operator may travel on a paved shoulder.
9. A municipality may make other provisions for the location of motorized bicycle/tricycle traffic.
10. Operator of a motorized bicycle/tricycle must obey all other traffic laws.
The "*" is me btw and this is why;
*note that here no maximum displacement is mandated beyond "capability"...
**note that a motorized bicycle may have pedals... so this means "may not" as well?
***may not be operated in excess of 20mph, which ofc is different than the "capable of 25mph or less" stated earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: allen standley

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
The motor is attached to the wheel via a chain and sprocket.
A permanent seat means a seat thats attached somehow even if you can remove it.
A non permanent seat would be like using a milkcrate that is not atatched on a scooter.

homeruner

Apr 8, 2011
Maine
WOW Thank you for this!! This was so helpful, I'm been having some trouble with the legality of it and whether I need to get it registered, so thanks for the help. This is great news!

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
Somewhere when i was looking into this....a motorized bicycle can be any cc size as long as its 1hp or less. Im not sure how a police officer would determine that. Plus i talked to reg bureau and they comfermed to me that its entirely up to the cop pulling you over as to how he sees you bike..motorcycle or moped or motorized bike etc.

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
The general look i found is that it needs to be registered AND insured. But no insurance company will insure a home made bike. Because it wasnt manufactured to any standards like a moped would be that is sold.

Dayvancowboy

Jul 27, 2012
Boothbay Maine
this is the exact Maine Revised Statutes current definition of a motorized bicycle
41. Motorized bicycle or tricycle. "Motorized bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that:
A. May have pedals to permit human propulsion; and [1999, c. 170, §1 (AMD).]
B. Has a motor attached to a wheel that is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower and has a cylinder capacity capable of propelling the vehicle unassisted at a speed of 25 miles per hour or less on a level road surface. [1999, c. 170, §1 (AMD).]
C. [1999, c. 170, §1 (RP).]
"Motorized bicycle or tricycle" does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device.
[ 2001, c. 687, §6 (AMD) .]

Many people keep telling me that if its under 50cc you don't need a license. its strange how old laws stay fake laws for a long time... I find the under 20mph thing a joke I can go 40 -50 mph down hill on my racing bike with out any engine on it. The way I figure it is if it isn't taxed it isn't legal.

Last edited:

mccrasherty

Mar 4, 2015
portland
after a lot of time the maine law is motorized bikes are the same law as regular bikes you don't need a license and can drive them on suspended license you have to follow the traffic laws no limit on motor cc size have to have a light on front and back cant go over 50mph that is from the maine state police maine dmv and Portland police

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Mccrasherty, your description doesn't match up with the current statutes. I got digging into these to see if a 79cc predator build would be technically legal if operated slow enough.

Some references:

On cylinder size and speed (emphasis added) You're correct in that they don't actually limit CC's other than practically through speed:
http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec101.html

41. Motorized bicycle or tricycle. "Motorized bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that:
A. May have pedals to permit human propulsion; and [1999, c. 170, §1 (AMD).]
B. Has a motor attached to a wheel that is rated at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower and has a cylinder capacity capable of propelling the vehicle unassisted at a speed of 25 miles per hour or less on a level road surface. [1999, c. 170, §1 (AMD).]
C. [1999, c. 170, §1 (RP).]

On lights (emphasis added), lights only needed at night:
http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec2084.html

§2084. Bicycles and scooters

1. Night equipment. A bicycle, scooter or motorized bicycle or tricycle, when in use in the nighttime, must have:
A. Lighted a front light that emits a white light visible from a distance of at least 200 feet to the front; [2003, c. 510, Pt. A, §25 (RPR).]
B. A red or amber light or reflector to the rear that is visible at least 200 feet to the rear; and [2003, c. 510, Pt. A, §25 (RPR).]
C. Reflector material on the pedals, unless the bicyclist is wearing reflective material on the feet or ankles. [2003, c. 510, Pt. A, §25 (RPR).]
A bicyclist may also use optional supplementary reflectors, lights or reflective or lighted safety equipment.
[ 2003, c. 510, Pt. A, §25 (RPR) .]
2. Brakes. A bicycle, scooter or motorized bicycle or tricycle must be equipped with a brake sufficient to enable the operator to stop the vehicle or device within a reasonable distance.
[ 2001, c. 360, §12 (AMD) .]

On Inspections:
http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec1752.html

§1752. Motor vehicles exempt from inspection

The following are exempt from inspection: [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]
6. Moped or motorized bicycle or tricycle. A moped or a motorized bicycle or tricycle;
[ 2007, c. 348, §1 (AMD) .]

And lastly, on licenses (emphasis added) You do need a valid license:
http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec1254.html
§1254. Special licenses
3. Motorized bicycle, tricycle or scooter operator. A motorized bicycle or tricycle or motorized scooter may only be operated by a person who possesses a valid license of any class, a learner's permit or a license endorsed for a motorcycle or moped. The Secretary of State may not require the operator of a motorized bicycle or tricycle or motorized scooter to obtain a license endorsed for a motorcycle or moped.
[ 2013, c. 381, Pt. B, §14 (AMD) .]

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Yes I've been somewhat confused with all of this myself. What I do know after 5 or so years riding in the Bangor area is the police will impound your bike if you are an O.U.I. $65 to get release. I've also found that if you ride safe with lights front and rear, use and obey all traffic laws, use hand signals and wear a helmet the only thing to worry about is traffic.
I've had my local sheriff follow me home, pull into my driveway with me and want to know all about it. A curiosity at first then a safety check with the comment "You look as safe as you can be and to remember to watch out for the other guy". Never asked to see a license. He waves to me and my sons every time he sees us. Also pulled into the local pizza shop one time only to come out and find 4 Bangor police standing around my bike commenting on the detail and inginuity. I was flattered. GOLDEN RULE - BE LAWFUL, BE SAFE, BE POLITE, BE CONSIDERATE. I doubt anyone of us will have any issues with the Law.

wardnipper49

Jan 3, 2016
maine
hello im in maine. what is the law on MB, i was gonna get a friction drive or a regular motor kit 49cc. Or i was gonna buy a 49cc scooter not a moped a scooter. I have money to buy one an moped permit. im 21. what do i need to stay out of trouble.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
49cc scooters or mopeds require registration, motorized bicycles do not. Here's the state quick reference sheet:
http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/scooters.html

Note that the state's definition of "motorized scooter" varies from what you think of as a scooter.

That sheet doesn't mention motorized bicycles which are specifically mentioned in the statutes you can find earlier in this thread. Those can only be operated up to 20mph legally, commonly accepted as less than 50cc, but the law is vague about actual cc. Though many have not been stopped when going a bit over. You need to be a licensed driver to operate any of them, but motorized bikes don't need registration, inspection, or insurance.

KonaTitanMan

Nov 23, 2008
Scarborough, ME
after a lot of time the maine law is motorized bikes are the same law as regular bikes you don't need a license and can drive them on suspended license you have to follow the traffic laws no limit on motor cc size have to have a light on front and back cant go over 50mph that is from the maine state police maine dmv and Portland police
I was all set to refute McCrasherty regarding requirement to have a valid driver's license when operating a Motorized Bicycle or MAB on a public way because Maine Law requires all operators of "Motor Vehicles" to have one (M.S.R.A. 29-A §1251)... however, since Maine Law defines a "Motorized Bicycle" as as a "BICYCLE that has..." (M.S.R.A. 29-A 101 subsection 41) it is not a motor vehicle. In fact, since Maine Law defines a "Motor Vehicle" as a VEHICLE that is "Self-Propelled" (M.S.R.A. Title 29-A §101, subsection 42) and Maine's definition of "Vehicle" specifically excludes "conveyances propelled or drawn by human power" (M.S.R.A. 29-A §101, subsection 91), then actually-- despite a motor to assist-- if your MAB has pedals and you have to pedal in it's operation then Maine Law states that your MAB is not only NOT a "motor vehicle" but also not even a "Vehicle"! No license then. Close inspection of the statutes shows information that flies in the face of the MBV site's assertion that an "unclassified craft" (such as a bicycle with motor still under 50ccs but over 1.5 horsepower, has the motor attached to a chainring instead of "a wheel," DOES require shifting after engine is engaged -a la shift-kit- and capable of greater than 25mph on a flat/level roadway) MABs are automatically an Off-Road Vehicle. There is no statutory language that says that. In fact, at present, the way the laws RE MABs are written, unless your setup matches EXACTLY what Maine defines as a "Motorized Bicycle" you wouldn't be subject to the speed restriction imposed specifically on Motorized Bicycles either. (By the way, Maine Law defines an ATV as a "vehicle" that derives motive power from a source other than muscle: thats M.S.R.A Title 12 § 13001, subsection 3.) Since your MAB probably does derive power from muscle (too) disqualifies it from being an ATV.) Yes, these distinctions are technical, but the law IS technical- EVERY element of the statute must be met in prosecution of a violation of said statute in order for you to be found "guilty/responsible."

This does not mean I advocate that ANYONE go out and see how for the law's "gray area" can go. I would not advocate ANYTHING that can get someone hurt or would motivate Maine Legislators to add or change the laws as they are currently written. Follow rules of the road and be police to those with whom you share the road.

So, thank you, McCrasherty, for teaching me something today- this post totally didn't end the way I was expecting.

Last edited:

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Kona, see my post #11 above, specifically this link in it:
http://legislature.maine.gov/legis/statutes/29-A/title29-Asec1254.html
§1254. Special licenses
3. Motorized bicycle, tricycle or scooter operator. A motorized bicycle or tricycle or motorized scooter may only be operated by a person who possesses a valid license of any class, a learner's permit or a license endorsed for a motorcycle or moped. The Secretary of State may not require the operator of a motorized bicycle or tricycle or motorized scooter to obtain a license endorsed for a motorcycle or moped.
[ 2013, c. 381, Pt. B, §14 (AMD) .]

Unfortunately, it's not a gray area, they specifically state that licenses are required.

Last edited:

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I've also been riding around in Bangor, Maine. Only been bothered once by law enforcement. That was from riding a trail that starts on Griffen St and I believe goes to Capehart. Also it wasn't the police that wanted to stop me it was a Game Warden that was walking the trail the day of our annual Kenduskeag Stream Canoe Race. He came after me because he was looking for people on dirt bikes and ATV's tearing up the trail as it was private property.

He had no issue with people walking up this private trail though. So he proceeded to read his pocket law book which said nothing at all about motorized bicycles, I tried to explain to him the laws Bangor PD told me about motorbikes(same as listed above). He continued to ask the brand of my Walmart bike, I guess thinking in his mind motorized bikes are branded by Honda or Suzuki, lol. He asked for my phone number and told me to push my bike back off the trail(2+ miles) to the main road.

I walked 1/4 a mile away fired my bike up and drove away. I learned a lesson that day, avoid wardens at ALL cost. They are like police on crack and will seek out a reason to get you for something no matter what.

Seems like since we don't need to register to ride a MB on public roads the Wardens think we should pay for their sticker license plate, budgets must be getting tight on them.

Reactions: allen standley

Thugs_Lyfe

Jul 23, 2017
Can I use a motorized bicycle (less than 1.5 HP and no more than 25mph) on sidewalks or the side of the road and not have to get a license or register?

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
You have to have a valid license (meaning not under suspension either), but you don't need a motorcycle endorsement. You don't have to register. You are allowed to ride on the road, but not on the sidewalk. The max speed by law is 20mph, but that part hasn't been much trouble for anyone getting a bit over. Don't drive like your username and you'll be fine ;)