Lifan with a bar mounted shift system, possible?

GoldenMotor.com

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
I've just had an idea,

How about a semi auto lifan with the gears being controlled by a regular handle bar mounted thumb shift. some sort of armatures off the end of the gear shaft with your right hand operating up and your left hand operating down. The rachet system with in the levers would need removed. Or because a lifan (or at least sum) have that strange gearbox where you shift up (or down by foot) from forth and it takes you straight back to neutral, meaning you could do it all with just the one lever.

What do you think?

I know lifans are wide but the are always ways around that, btw how wide are they?

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Does a lifan not go N-1-2-3-4-N-1-2... I have never used one was only told, is this correct?

if not scratch that, two levers will have to do, or a modified single lever with two different pulls.

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
some ten speed bikes had a solid wire type cable shifter didn't have spring return the cable would push the derailer, something like that would work

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Sounds like a good solution to me, maybe a project to deal with after my current one 50, 70 or 88cc (depending on widths) lifan with bar mounted shift.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I am working on something similar, but I bought the full auto. I didn't want to shift. How lazy can I be? The engine is about 12 inches wide.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Woops! Looks like the link had the cc size. Anyway, when you searching for engines look for atv engines. A lot of them are full auto where the dirt bike and pocket bike engines are manual or semi auto.