Living With LiFePO4s--Safely!

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Really Barely!

Don't draw a line in the sand! We are not trying to sell Lipos to any one. Just pointing out the Pros and cons and trying be sure people are aware of how to safely handle and use them. Folks are going to use them anyway, they might as well be made aware.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Line in the sand? Sell?

How about I was simply suggesting "lithium" includes more then Lipos, as the folks that may need such an instructional may not be aware they're not all so thermally unstable or seemingly tricky.

E vehicles already have a reputation for such, unnecessarily I might add.

As "Lipos" have a higher energy density and as they're slightly cheaper initially, some get lured into what just may not be the best deal - if it's a weekend racer, sure lipos & their demands are fine... if it's a long term investment in a daily rider and/or for those that don't wish to diddle about with their packs LiFePO4 may be a far more practical choice, most particularly for those who may need such an instructional.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Most are already aware of the fact that LiFePO4 are a safer way to go, they cost twice as much as the HK LiPo hobby style batteries.

People are going to use these hobby LiPo.

Know how or not, that price is to hard to beat not to mention that they are almost half the size and weigh less than a "Safe" chemistry.

I hope I scared some of you with news of users burning down their place, may keep careless people away from them.

I will keep using the hobby LiPo.

We use gas everyday right.

---edited this gas fire reference due to the nature of humans to take thing to far/state of the world.---

Just some common sense(I realize not all have some) and LiPo can be safe.

And so a safety reminder seems in order.

Have fun, that's the main part.
Ride in your comfort zone.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I doubt I will be firing the likes of rifles at things in my living room any time soon? You never know tho ? I have done some stupid stuff in my life time.

Lived in a tweaker house with a bunch of room mates at one time in my early twenties. We did shoot at the rodents in the place with Pellet guns at all hours of the night and day.. With reckless abandon I might add.....rotflrotfl

The 20 foot flame bit could have proved epic back then!!!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'll be staying with LiFePO4.

I don't want to wire up multi packs
I don't want to remove the battery from the bike before charging
I don't want multiple chargers or be my own "BMS"
Sometimes I forget I have the charger on.
I would like to stick with a chemistry that won't punish me for forgetfulness by burning down my house.

And if LiFePO4 costs twice as much but lasts twice as long than the cost is the same.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Wow what happened here?
Were was this going?

Not a line in the sand, looks like Head in the sand.

CB2 and I are just trying to pull some of you out of the LEAD age.
Making it a bit safer for all involved seems like a good idea.

I killed my LiFeP04 battery after 9 months. Good buy there, huh?
Bad cells and amp happy user.

Mike B
Even you can connect 1 battery to another, positive to negative, cant you?
That all it takes, two 6cell batteries=50.2v off the charger.

These 'BALANCE' (<---Key word) chargers have multiple safety features.
You can set the alarm to sound off until you turn it off.
You can set how long you feel is safe, timer cut off.
You can set temperature cut off.
You can set voltage cut off.

With a dual charger or 2 chargers, you can charge up and be riding in just about an hour.(from storage voltage 3.8/cell) with two 6cell LiPo 10.0.

If something unforeseen does happen charging off your bike, you don't burn your bike up because you are charging in a safe location.

That's why we want you to ask LiPo questions here.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59928

Get help before something happens, if you don't understand something just keep asking, CB2 and I will help all we can or point you to some thing that may help.

Welcome to the FUTURE!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wow what happened here?
Were was this going?

Not a line in the sand, looks like Head in the sand.
Riiiiight... I really wasn't trying to be hostile but as that's the response, so be it. Both of you tried "the LEAD age" first, then you tried to overvolt a LiFePO4 pack and you didn't understand the difference between amps and amp hours: http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=554577&postcount=21 while cannonball, another SLA fan penny-pinches used cells trying to save a buck http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=53965
... & both of you become experts in less then a year? http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=53431

I know you likely expected little more then accolades for such reposted wisdoms, yet I really only wished to include the better long-term investment of LiFePO4s to offset the common lithium fears, both in complexity of charge maintenance and fire hazards... of which that thread does little to alleviate given that's exactly what it does (and needs to) address.

Welcome to the FUTURE!
Yea... "future" ...you do know lithium battery tech is at least twenty years old yes?

... and feel free to correct any bad info, please.
Wont hurt my feelings.
ah well...

;)

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
K

Never have I claimed to be anything but a hobbyist, no expert here.

I hope others can learn from my mistakes, or I would not post my experiences here.

I expect NO "pat on the back"
Seems like I may have a bad rep on this site as it is.

Don't think I am the one that need the flame suit.
Just trying to help.

dnut

Was there a point to this thread?

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I'd type more... but that really is about it and that's the point. I truly didn't expect folks to get all offended, but I s'pose that's the way of the internets :p
I felt like I waked into a bar with CB2 and there was a guy sitting their looking for trouble, BA.

The LiPo help thread started because a member bought a bunch of stuff before maybe knowing what they were getting into.

I am not mad or offended or anything, mostly surprised.
As this is a mostly hands on DIY crowd here.

Apologies all around.

One of my many shortcomings is that I amplify aggression in others and the direct it back at them.
/salute

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I don't think anyone is angry.

There are just some of us that will never use Lipo's when better and safer technology exists. Why worry about stuff when you don't have to?

The point of the the thread is simple and valid. LiFePO4 is easy. You just plug it in and forget it. You don't need to mess with multi packs and removing the battery to a "safe and fireproof location" to charge it, you just plug it in and unplug it when the red light turns green.

Easy.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well I will throw in at this point and say if I misread the intent of your thread Barely I apologize. It sounded a bit condescending even the title had a bit of mockery in the tone. Starting a thread that basically stated unequivocally that its Lifepo4 and nothing else is provocative. Might as well be another discussion on oil mix ratios, which is the best oil, etc. and we all know where those go.

Its a given that Lifepo4 batteries are probably the ultimate chemistry in many ways at this time. I think we can all agree on that or at least come close. As LC stated Lipos are out there and being bought and used by folks that may be largely ignorant of all the facts of safe handling. With in the members of this forum LC and I were just trying to lay out the safe procedures for this chemistry. Both of us have been using Lipos sine they first came on the scene over 10yrs ago. We are reasonably learned on the subject in a hands on way.

You could have just as easily posted you comments/opinions in the Lipo thread with much less impunity and provocation.

With all this said lets get back to the exchange of information, ideas, and help that this forum is famous for.

As a side bar, my experiments and experiences with 18650 cells were strictly a learning one and I certainly am not going to build a 96cell pack with $10+ new cells. I have discarded the 18650 cell batteries as unsuitable at least for my usage. Glad I did use cheap used cells!

Just read your post MikeB. Well said. I guess its just a matter of different volts for different folks so to speak.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Seems the title is so similar that you posted in the wrong thread K007. Was this meant for the Lipo thread? If so post it there because this appears to be an excellent charger. Will be considering one. I like it!

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Whoops, Sorry K007 guess I didn't read in detail about the Lifepo4 capability. I was so excited to see a 10s charger at that price I must have missed a lot. Thanks for the link!