Trek GEBE

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Got a bike. It is not the bike I wanted but I got a great deal on it. Do you think I should use it or hold out and get the bike I would like to use for my GEBE kit? (an Electra Townie) Thanks.

Attachments

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
The Electra Townie would be more comfortable, but I told Julia at GEBE to send me the throttle cable that would fit a Tanaka 40 instead of a Robin Subaru EH035 that I have sitting around. This bike fits a Tanaka 40 better than an Electra Townie would. I'm going to use this bike.(Trek) I'll post picts after build is complete. If I got the throttle cable for the Subaru Robin EH035 I might wait and hold out for the Electra Townie. Thanks

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Here is a pict. of my bike with the GEBE kit installed with the Tanaka 40 with 105g Velocity rim. I'm getting some drag/resistance and the top speed is only 27mph. Does anyone know what this drag might be and why is my top speed only 27 mph with a 13Tooth gear? Thanks.

Attachments

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
This bike is not what I wanted. I'm going to sell it and keep the GEBE kit and maybe mount a Robin Subaru EH035 to it and look for a good deal on an Electra Townie.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
New RS-68 Procedure in Florida stating you have to register and put blinkers and lights on your motorized bicycles and not allowed to ride them on the sidewalks is making me get out of Motorized Bicycles. I sold the Electra Townie and GEBE and I'm probably going to get something roadworthy like a Honda Ruckus.

bonefish

May 7, 2018
Albula vulpes = scientific name for bonefish. I lost my password so I can not sign in with my other screen name. I have been out of the motorbicycling hobby for some time now. I bought a Honda Ruckus and then sold it after 2 years of use because I could not keep up with traffic. Now I own a Yamaha Zuma 125 that is too fast so I'm getting back into motorbicycling so I can feel safe riding on the sidewalks at slow speed. I just bought a GEBE off of Ebay that has less than one hour of use on it. I'm going to mount a Robin Subaru EH035 to it with the Velocity 105G wheel. It will be mounted to my dream bike an Electra Townie 21D. I moved so hopefully the cops will not be to enforcive on procedure RS-68

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Here's one of my GEBE builds, still to get a few more tweaks. I was shooting for
a lighter go-anywhere long distance touring bike. Not shown, in addition to the
stock 1liter tank, is a 3 liter jerry can that mounts below the tanaka pf-4000. This
should give me a 180 mi.+ range, saves guess mixing when the stock tank is low.
Instead of a GEBE 12/13/or 14T pulley, I put on a 15T. The result is 14 mph on the
first 1/16" of throttle cable, barely more than idle. It cruises at 20 mph on 1/4 throttle,
(about 4000 rpm). Pedals very well without power & is quite light,( 15# lighter than
my electric & my steel GEBE mtn bike.) The grips are super comfy, but required my
making a custom thumb throttle that doesn't interfere with the trigger shifter. I can
get a large pannier on the left rear rail & 2 smaller ones up front as well as my bivy
on top. (a modified front mount makes it very strong)

Attachments

Last edited:

bonefish

May 7, 2018
On my Tanaka PF-4000 GEBE with a 13T pulley top speed maxed out at 28mph. The engine wasn't broken in yet. The GEBE i have now only has a 12T pulley. It is matched up to a Subaru EH035. Not sure what the top speed will be, but it will be quieter.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
The bike shown above had a sooby35 when I bought it with kit & engine off CL
for $245, helluva bargain. The belt disintegrated 2 mi into the 1st ride & the
engine kept dying every time I went past half throttle. Upon dissection, the clutch
was little more than a flywheel without a trace of pads. After adding a new clutch
& filter it purred like a kitten, but I put on the Tanaka anyway. At 6'2", 240, I'm
a bit of a load for the sooby.
Took it out yesterday for a 10 mile ride & hit 33 pedaling hard. I forgot to fill up, & ran
out of gas after 6 mi. No problem, pedaled it home easily. Just as I hoped it would.

Last edited:

bonefish

May 7, 2018
You got a heck of a deal. I thought I got a good deal on a GEBE kit with a Honda GX35 clone for $250. I sold the Honda GX35 clone for $150, then mounted a NWT Subaru EH035 to it. Now I'm waiting for a good deal on a Townie 21D or 7D. Patience is a virtue.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
You got a heck of a deal. I thought I got a good deal on a GEBE kit with a Honda GX35 clone for $250. I sold the Honda GX35 clone for $150, then mounted a NWT Subaru EH035 to it. Now I'm waiting for a good deal on a Townie 21D or 7D. Patience is a virtue.
Yes it is; I've watched CL for years just waiting for that incredible bargain to turn up.
They do turn up every now & then. 4 of my 5 bikes were ridiculously cheap. The 5th
was free. I got a new-in-the-box Tanaka pf4000 for $150. That's not counting my
electric which was not cheap, but I waited for years for the technology to live up to
my expectations. Considering that it has components & performance equal or better
than a 10K Stromer, my Juiced Bikes CCS was a bargain at $2500*. The basic model
is $1700, but I opted for the 'hyper-extended range package. It is a truly amazing bike!!!
The 650 watt motor out performs my 2 Tanakas with 2.2 hp (1650 watts). Geez, I love
that bike! It's supposed to have a 100 mi. range, but being a big guy, I only get 56 mi.
The only reason for my latest gas build was the quest for a truly long range touring
bike. With the auxilliary 3 liter jerry can + stock tank, that bike should get 180mi.
*had to wait 3 mo. after my order but well worth the wait.