bicycle frame for large tall person

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I've searched for this, but have found very little.

My Schwinn feels small, I need a bigger bike.
I need a new Gas-Bike anyway... right? :)

I don't want a stretch, and I can't keep waiting for the chance to weld one up, but I need something longer, and stronger.

Seems like time to build myself a better daily rider, frame-up. I've looked into a couple, like the Firmstrong Chief, Worksman Heavy Duty and Felt Glassell. I'm only interested in the frames, but all of these are fine, style wise. I wasn't able to get some specs.

Is there a production frame that you could recommend that will meet these requirements;

-Be comfortable for a 6' rider, without a laid-back post.
-Be able to carry 300lbs (ish).
-Be capable of accepting heavy duty forks.
-Be safe to operate at 40mph (ish/ to know that it is over-built)
-Be wide enough to accept a rear wheel worthy of propelling, and braking, 300lbs to and from 40mph.

I'm sure I forgot some other stuff, but this builds' gonna take a while, so it'll come up. Budget is an issue, but I do want a lot, so it's going to cost...

I thank you in advance for your experiences and opinions.

Trey

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm a six footer, too. I know just what it's like; the typical 26 inch bike is a bit too small. I can make it work with long or lay-back seatposts. But I crave a bike that's just a bit bigger.

I've considered a 29'er. But I worry that the wheels might not be up to the task. You might consider getting one and then re-lacing the wheels with, say, 11 gauge spokes.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
6'3" @ 280# (and probably pushing just over 300# with my backpack). Rode a cheapo Genesis TwoNine for about 2.5-years and it held up OK. The hardware on it was crap, but the frame kept me off the ground until the down-post snapped near the engine-mount (still kept going...didn't fold on me!). Blue's right about the spokes; you'll go through about 3 a month. I actually got into a routine where I'd wait until 5 spokes blew out before I'd replace 'em. Turns out the cheapo spokes were the problem, and all the replacements have held...no spoke problems in quite a while. I also make sure to replace the rear-hub with a high-quality one. The box-store bikes' hubs are garbage, and will eventually pit-out or collapse. The axles also have a tendency to snap early. In fact, if your budget allows it's a good idea to replace the spokes and hub in one go. I still use 12-gauge as the 11-gauge are more expensive and less readily available.

So, I'm just after replacing my ol' 29er with a new cousin-bike: the Genesis GS29, was about $150 @ Walmart. VERY similar to the old TwoNine, but less expensive. The most important differences:

V-brake replaces disc-brake in front. Much fatter down-post (2.5"-dia...you'll need a mounting-kit). 40-spokes instead of 36-spokes (means you can only use 6-bolts in the rag-joint as opposed to 9).

I had to do a bit of frame-spreading too: the seat-stay and chain-stay; they needed expansion of about 10mm and 8mm respectively toaccomodate the drive-chain and "tensioner" (I used an old scissor-jack and a rubber-hammer). With a 44T sprocket, this frame REQUIRES the tensioner to circumnavigate the chain-stay!

The only hardware I upgraded on this build was the axle; this because the stock axle was bent, and looked like a piece of snit. It's a good idea to rebuild much of the hardware on these box-store bikes anyway as they're usually slapped together sloppily. It's SUPER important to make sure the axle/hub assembly is properly adjusted and tightened. Out of the box, the cones on this bike weren't properly spaced, and the wheel had freedom to wobble slightly...this equals self-destruction. Not sure how well the spokes will fare either, especially since the rag-joint has 1/3 less fasteners now.

In any case, new and higher-quality hubs will increase efficiency and top-speed.

And on the topic of "speed": what the heck's wrong with you?!? 40MPH is a REALLY bad idea on a bicycle, ESPECIALLY for guys in our weight-class. If you can actually get up to that speed with a 66cc 2-stroke: more power to ya. (Actually, LESS power to ya; you'll live longer.)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
As a matter of fact, I've got to agree with kioshk on the matter of speed. 40 mph is asking for trouble.

Myself, I just putt-putt along. I average 12 mph on the road.

It doesn't sound like much. But you can eat up the miles just fine. And I figure that at a speed like that I stand a good chance of landing on my feet if there's any trouble. Even if I don't land on my feet, and actually hit the road instead, I figure I've got a good chance of avoiding serious injury.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I have a roadie frame in my collection that's waaaay too tall for me and I think it would be waaaay too tall for a lot of guys too. Most probably just fine for somebody who is 6ft 6" or more tall who can step over garden gates with ease. I haven't a clue why I kept it, but if anybody ever needs a tall frame boy do I ever have a great deal for them :D

40mph on a bicycle? I think that's a bit silly myself. Different if you're skinny and light and riding a track bike at a velodrome, but on the open road no way.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Ok. Thanks for the help!

I intend to build one that could do 40mph or so, in order to be well overbuilt.
On my best day if safe, and I knew it was capable of doing it, I might shortly hit 30mph. I ride kit bikes at about 10-15mph, but would like a safe, consistent 25mph.
I'm not a speed demon, but Montana is a wide place, and I could use to stretch it out once in a while.
I will use a powerful 4-stroke, and capable drive/ braking equipment.

Impossible on a production frame?

I can't afford to build this: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=58100

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"I'm not a speed demon, but Montana is a wide place, and I could use to stretch it out once in a while." --Trey

Well.......you've got a point there. One that might be easy for those of us in the more urban parts of the world to forget.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
a 22'' comfort bike or extended frame cruiser like micargi rover or a 29er is what you want. I like the rover 7 speed myself its a good bike but it actually comes in 2 different frames. one the cranks are under the seat tube and the newer one has the cranks slightly forward in front of the seat tube. the new style one is a nice ride I like it a lot. but, if all you want is a frame check on ebay for a deal on a used one.

MtDave

Jun 22, 2013
Missoula, Montana
Heya Trey,

I just bought a Firmstrong Chief to put a 4-stroke on. If you want specific measurements be glad to help you out, just let me know what you need.

If a frame is what you want to start with we have Freecycles here in Msla with literally 100's of used bike frames and mountains of parts for a minimal donation - maybe Bozeman has something similar.