Electric start battery question

GoldenMotor.com

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I have a nice project going, and while I am crunching numbers for drive ratios and storage containment, I think it would be smart to figure out what battery I should go with.

I do know this is an electric start ONLY, so the more reliable battery I have, the safer I'll be. I will have a full light set up, so I just need an idea about how high the amp hours need to be. I thought about going with two ES7-12's.

This will balance the weight a little bit, and they are very compact.
My other option would be something like a Napa ETX12. Those have roughly 120 CCA's

Any thoughts?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I went with a 9 AH Lithium. Very small and weighs just over a pound.

I put one in my Yamaha TW200 and it cranks that motor better than the 5 lb lead acid stocker did.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...I do know this is an electric start ONLY, so the more reliable battery I have, the safer I'll be. I will have a full light set up, so I just need an idea about how high the amp hours need to be. I thought about going with two ES7-12's...
A single ES7-12 would be more then enough, remember it's the lighting coil on the stator that actually runs the lights & if your lights are too much for it's output, a bigger battery will only postpone the problem.

my other option would be something like a Napa ETX12. Those have roughly 120 CCA's
Jus' to be sure, CCA (cold cranking amps) is what the battery can give for only 30sec at 0°F, not it's overall capacity - reserve (how long you can crank it over/light up the night) is Amp Hours or AH as you noted previously. CCA is common in marketing because that's all most folks care about (car starting in the cold) and it makes for an impressive number ofc, amp hours tends to cost a bit more - ask the ebike guys lol ;)

Anyhoo, I believe most came with something like a 30, maybe 40w lighting coils stock (plenty for decent lighting) but a heads up - not all the horizontal four strokes came with both a lighting and charging coil, even some with electric start only came with just charging coils.

No worries though, once you've it wired up & running if you think you've not enough & ya wanna light up the night like a nova whilst boomin' a system there's a large selection of inexpensive aftermarket stators with anywhere from 70-100w lighting/accessory output.

I use nothing but a tiny 5ah SLA for starting mine & it's never given me cause for worry... but mine's a lil weird (hybrid), as Mike & Cannon mentioned 7-10ah is typical.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/12vo12amphob1.html

https://youtu.be/aQXKnt9hZzU