Current laws in Minnesota

GoldenMotor.com

pstan

Mar 17, 2011
MN
I've had my cruiser out and about town several times, and have never had any issues here in Virginia. As long as you aren't showboating I'm pretty sure you'll be ok. But it doesn't hurt to stop in and see what the DMV has to say - Bev will probably say it isn't worth the paperwork. I have a friend who was on the Virgina PD and he thought it was cool - never had any issues with me riding it around town, and didn't see any issues about it. I've even inquired about riding it on the bike trail, and have been loosely given the thumbs up on it - just ride responsibly. And you're right it's a bit of a novelty up here - every time I take mine out I have people giving me the thumbs up and saying cool bike.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
pstan & Dave,
Two Virginia riders with motor bicycles, eh? Awesome! One of these days we need to have a group ride before summer is gone and we're back to snowflakes.
SB

alexfarley

Jun 13, 2014
Mpls
I rode my GEBE kitted bike around Uptown in Minneapolis for like 2 days, in traffic and everything. Cops didn't seem to care at all, lots of people stared. By sheer coincidence, another guy pulled up in a motorized scooter and complimented my setup haha
I think if you have a DL, you're A OK

jager64

Sep 5, 2013
Andover MN
Guys a motorized bike is completely legal in MN look at MN statute 169.233 and definition
169.011 subd 45 clearly it is not a moped. I think the state where nothing is allowed is tossing us a bone here be safe and courteous driver don't be an idiot, life will be good! Ride on.

boyorastroboy

Oct 5, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Super helpful post, everyone. How about over 50 cc, like a Sportsman Flyer? Are those considered motorcycles in MN? Would love to park on the sidewalks like scooters can.

jager64

Sep 5, 2013
Andover MN
Over 50cc out of luck on parking its a motorcycle. My wife had a 150cc vespa scooter I would park it anywhere on the sidewalk or bike area no one hassled me looks just like a 50cc size just saying. Its all going e-bike around here the laws favor them by far. I think next year you can ride them on bike trails under power. No registration or tabs just ride. I'm thinking its the way to go now in MN if the law passes. We have so many beautiful trails it would be a boom for the state and tourism in the land of 10,000 taxes I mean lakes.