electric scooter

GoldenMotor.com

pedalslow

Oct 7, 2013
North Carolina
Hey guys need some help with this I am building a scooter with a 26 inch bike no pedals so what kind of electric motor could I use for this project needs to be as cheap as possible just to help on hills what kind of motor do I need to look for. Thanks guys for any info.

Pedalslow,

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I'm thinking friction.
Friction drives are not too common in the kit offerings. I have seen a few friction drive motors only on ebay. They are usually 24v, but have seen some 12v offerings, stay away from those for efficiency. There are many good and innovative FD builds on Endless Sphere using R/C motors with the motor itself as the driver contacting the wheel. These are light/small and usually attach to the seat post and run on the smaller cheaper R/C batteries. However they require you to fab the installation. By far the easiest ebike to get up and running is a hub motor kit. If hills are an issue then a 500w kit would be entry level. The higher the voltage the better, but now your are into big and usually $$$(or heavy SLAs) battery territory . The battery is the $$$ of most bikes. I would build a bike with pedals so you can assist, otherwise you will need quite as system as it will be the sole means of power.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If there's no pedals, and you're just going to use the motor on the hills, how are you going to motivate the rest of the time?