Illinois-2014 laws or revisions

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Im not gonna debate the whole riding on a sidewalk thing here,because i can see how that would be dangerous to other people on the side walk and other reasons.not to mention its clearly in the law. And by the way thanks for contacting the DNR, every time i send them an email i either get a lack of information like a simple "no" or nothing at all.

If you don't know, we have these nice wide bike paths out here that are roughly the width of a suburban with either a foot or 2 more on each side. Most of it is old railroad lines they tore up the track and paved over giving us like 100's of miles (all combined) thru some of the most awesome scenery here. But these paths also hold the key to safely getting around roads that are too dangerous to drive on the shoulder. If you hop from town to town like me sometimes these paths are like the expressway to other areas of northern Illinois cities including a easy way into or out of Chicago if you desired.

i wonder if the paths i mentioned are handled by the county they are located in rather than the DNR? DNR would be like state parks right? I seem to remember a cop telling me that in a argument on my "low speed bike".

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
And I received a pretty thoughtful response...

I gathered advice from our Chief of Parks regarding this issue and his response is below:

“Legal interpretation for the purpose of use on trails is that if it is gas or electrically powered, it is a motor driven bicycle. The act you site governs transportation and the authority there would be with the Illinois Department of Transportation. The purpose of the bill you cite below, in part, was to “treat a low-speed gas bicycle the same as a low-speed electric bicycle in a provision regulating the use of low-speed bicycles and a provision excluding low-speed bicycles from the definition of a motor vehicle.””

This issue has been evaluated by staff in the past with the conclusion being that our access policy supersedes this clarification of the vehicle code. The access policy for State Trails takes into consideration several factors but the overriding consideration and our priority is to maintain public safety and to insure the proper facility and natural resource management at our sites and on our trails at all times.

Again, I thank you for your interest. I can suggest you talk with the site superintendent for a more site specific explanation. You may know that motorized bikes are allowed on roadways, however, they are not allowed on sidewalks or trails.

Regards,
Thanks, I won't be riding my Bikee E2 (legal) gas powered recumbent tandem on the Illinois levee any more, on the way to Alton. The road I will take instead is fast, but is wide open and has a huge smooth siding that I can use safely. But I WILL continue to sneak across the biking path on the old Chain of Rocks Bridge from Missouri to Illinois. Getting over the river on any "legal", non bike path is problematic almost anywhere on the Mississippi otherwise. But appreciate the heads up.

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
i wonder if the paths i mentioned are handled by the county they are located in rather than the DNR? DNR would be like state parks right? I seem to remember a cop telling me that in a argument on my "low speed bike".
I don't know the details. But I'm pretty sure that bike paths are established, maintained and administered by different authorities from regular public roads.

And I'm pretty sure that they can make different rules from those that govern the public roads. Hence, "No Motorized Vehicles" actually is within their rights even though our bikes are legal on the roads.

For that reason, I don't go near bike paths on my MB. I'm certain that I'd lose any argument I might have over that issue.

If I were ever in a spot where a bike path was a must for me, then I'd shut off the motor and pedal it. I'd probably win in the end with my argument that I wasn't using the motor, that it was merely there and I was using the bike as nothing more than a pedal bike.

But it would likely be a headache. Maybe I could talk the police into not giving me a ticket for that reason. But if he did, then I'd have to go to court. Maybe even not win there.

So I'd avoid it.

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
At least they are coming down on both the same...

Subject:Fisheries, Wildlife, Trees and Trails
Message:Good Afternoon, I am writing you in regard to the use of motorized pedal cycles on trails. Recently I have seen an increase of the use of electric bikes or E-bikes and 49cc gas bike kits on trails. Can you link me to, or send me a copy of, the rules on the use of motorized pedal cycles?

The District is in receipt of your inquiry below. Motorized or electric bikes are not allowed on District trails. I've pasted the link below to both the General Rules and Trail Rules which are found on our website. Please contact the District police at 708-771-1001 when you see this again. Thank you.

http://fpdcc.com/preserves-and-trails/rules-and-regulations/

John McCabe
Deputy Director
Department of Resource Management

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
after alot of digging, the major bike paths that run through Cook,Kane,Dupage,Mchenry and Lake Counties are still not in the loop with the low speed bike law, they are assuming we fall into a moped/ motor vehicle category with out identifying the fact that our bikes have been removed from the motor vehicle definition and been redefined to a bicycle or "low speed bicycle" with the same rights as bicycles.

Also it does seem that the majority of these long bike paths or rails to trails are regulated by the county they are in, for example you are able to use an "E-bike" in McHenry county only if it is possible that the bike can't travel faster than 15 mph.Which in itself is a joke because i know i can pedal faster than 25 mph or at least could in my prime, so what does that mean,regular bicycles need to be outlawed because they can go faster than 15 mph ?!?!?

http://www.mccdistrict.org/web/ab-FAQ.htm

here is an example of how extensive our bike paths are thru northern Illinois
http://02de1d0.netsolhost.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/gitsegsmap1.gif

what it is not showing on that map is,that at the end of county or beginning of a new county the bike path is handled by the county that it is in.Or unless crossing thru a state park.

I know this will bring the argument of the bicycle "purist" that we have no right and all the other smack they talk. But the law gave us the permission to be equal to bicycles,we should have access to these paths as long as we follow the same rules.

2009/2010 Law Update for Law Enforcement
Illinois Secretary of State Police
Training Section
625 ILCS 5/1-140.10 new, 625 ILCS 5/1-140.15 new, 625 ILCS 5/1-146, 625 ILCS 5/11-1516 new
“Low Speed Electric Bike”
Effective Date: 01/01/10
Public Act: 96-0125 Senate Bill: 0236
Synopsis:
Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Defines a low-speed electric bicycle as a 2 or 3-wheeled device with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (one horsepower), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour. Excludes low-speed electric bicycles from the definition of "motor vehicle". Prohibits operation of a low-speed electric bicycle at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour upon any highway, street, or roadway. Prohibits operation of a low-speed electric bicycle on a sidewalk. Provides that, except as otherwise provided, the provisions of the Article of the Code dealing with bicycles also apply to low-speed electric bicycles. Adds a definition for a "low-speed gas bicycle" and treats a low-speed gas bicycle the same as a low-speed electric bicycle in a provision regulating the use of low-speed bicycles and a provision excluding low-speed bicycles from the definition of a motor vehicle. Removes the requirement that a person have a valid current Illinois driver's license to operate an electric bicycle.
Excerpt from the Public Act
(625 ILCS 5/1-140.10 new)
Sec. 1-140.10. Low-speed electric bicycle. The term
"low-speed electric bicycle" has the same meaning ascribed to
it by Section 38 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C.
Sec. 2085).
(625 ILCS 5/1-140.15 new)
Sec. 1-140.15. Low-speed gas bicycle. A 2 or 3-wheeled
device with fully operable pedals and a gasoline motor of less
than one horsepower, whose maximum speed on a paved level
surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an
operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour.
(625 ILCS 5/1-146) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-146)
Sec. 1-146. Motor vehicle. Every vehicle which is
self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric
power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated
upon rails, except for vehicles moved solely by human power,
and motorized wheelchairs, low-speed electric bicycles, and
low-speed gas bicycles. For this Act, motor vehicles are
divided into two divisions:
First Division: Those motor vehicles which are designed for
the carrying of not more than 10 persons.
Second Division: Those motor vehicles which are designed
for carrying more than 10 persons, those motor vehicles
designed or used for living quarters, those motor vehicles
which are designed for pulling or carrying freight, cargo or
implements of husbandry, and those motor vehicles of the First
Division remodeled for use and used as motor vehicles of the
Second Division.
(Source: P.A. 85-1010.)
(625 ILCS 5/11-1516 new)
Sec. 11-1516. Low-speed bicycles.
(a) A person may operate a low-speed electric bicycle or
low-speed gas bicycle only if the person is at least 16 years
of age.
(b) A person may not operate a low-speed electric bicycle
or low-speed gas bicycle at a speed greater than 20 miles per
hour upon any highway, street, or roadway.
A person may not operate a low-speed electric bicycle
or low-speed gas bicycle on a sidewalk.
(d) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply to low-speed electric bicycles and low-apeed gas bicycles.
2009/2010 Law Update for Law Enforcement
Illinois Secretary of State Police
Training Section

Last edited:

rangefinder

Oct 18, 2012
Des Plaines, IL
Well, ActiveTrans is squarely not behind our cause. It is a shame,
because they do do a lot of good. But picking favorites is just not
right. I posted a comment. I would encourage any other Illinoisan
or Chicagoan to also post a comment voicing their displeasure with
ATA's position. HERE

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Well, ActiveTrans is squarely not behind our cause. It is a shame,
because they do do a lot of good. But picking favorites is just not
right. I posted a comment. I would encourage any other Illinoisan
or Chicagoan to also post a comment voicing their displeasure with
ATA's position. HERE
Absolutely disgusting the mind set these people have. Ill post there. I hope others do too.