Do not ride a motorized bike without a license!

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
If you do get stopped you might get cited for no valid drivers license which caries a jail sentence! most cops will not bother you! if you cannot afford to pay for it in one way or another just get a electric bike! they cannot say anything about that even if ride on the sidewalk? you are legal with anything up to a 750 watt motor and a top speed of 15mph. some idiots here think there is a differance between electric and gas bikes> gas bike should not be on the sidewalk but it`s o:k for and electric bike" if you hit someone the pain inflicted will be the same!
Somewhat, there is a difference though. While impact damage may be the same, the problem 2-fold from what I can think of right now: #1 (probably the main reason) noise. My bike is quieter than my roommates stock muffler but it's still fairly noisy. The ring-a-ting-ting of a 2-stroke isn't really appealing either, especially at close range (I ease off the throttle when someone's beside me with their window down). And #2 if you do crash into someone or something, that's a really hot motor you got there. 350 degrees F on the head under normal conditions (mine is 202F running though, plugs probably a couple ranges too cold and possibly running rich with low-ish compression), and your exhaust (which is substantially hotter when running an x-pipe and bigger) can typically hit 1100F, enough to set fire to alot of things with contact more than a couple seconds (again, mine typically hits around 232F running). #3 (I know I said 2) is pollution/smell, but with the tiny amount of gas our engines take, we produce less **overall** pollution than most cars (I asterisked overall because 2-strokes and bikes in general, due to their small size, lack catalytic converters. CC's are designed to reduce the especially harmful gases emitted from a running engine).

In the end, I wouldnt even run an electric motor on the sidewalk, so overall I agree with you.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
No you don't, it just needs to be pedal-less and made for stand up riding. Floorboards are not defined in structure or material legally, so technically pegs which are meant for standing are also sufficient. If you get clocked outside 25 you're in another category and need to register it and have a M license. Believe it or not, this thing is technically a huge stand up scooter:
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60318&stc=1&d=1370403566
While I admire your argument I believe the difference is where a motorized scooter is primarily designed to be operated while standing with the seat being an option, your 2 wheeled motorized device is clearly designed to be operated while seated and standing up on the foot pegs an option. Maybe if you had boards or metal plates running from the front pegs to the back ones to stand on it would help in defining your motorized device as a motorized scooter.
Either way California has a 15mph speed limit on motorized scooters which for me would make for one heck of a boring ride. Just my 2 cents. ~BF1

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
You can ride a electric on the sidewalk" it is just like electric mobility scooters that can go as fast as 12mph, it is a federal law i quoted ,if it were not for that the local courts and law enforcement would likely make you get a license for that and treat it as a motor vehicle as well ?
Somewhat, there is a difference though. While impact damage may be the same, the problem 2-fold from what I can think of right now: #1 (probably the main reason) noise. My bike is quieter than my roommates stock muffler but it's still fairly noisy. The ring-a-ting-ting of a 2-stroke isn't really appealing either, especially at close range (I ease off the throttle when someone's beside me with their window down). And #2 if you do crash into someone or something, that's a really hot motor you got there. 350 degrees F on the head under normal conditions (mine is 202F running though, plugs probably a couple ranges too cold and possibly running rich with low-ish compression), and your exhaust (which is substantially hotter when running an x-pipe and bigger) can typically hit 1100F, enough to set fire to alot of things with contact more than a couple seconds (again, mine typically hits around 232F running). #3 (I know I said 2) is pollution/smell, but with the tiny amount of gas our engines take, we produce less **overall** pollution than most cars (I asterisked overall because 2-strokes and bikes in general, due to their small size, lack catalytic converters. CC's are designed to reduce the especially harmful gases emitted from a running engine).

In the end, I wouldnt even run an electric motor on the sidewalk, so overall I agree with you.