Miami, Fl Motorized bicycle riders

GoldenMotor.com

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
I haven't finished with the build that is talked about in that thread that 2door linked too, but the short of it all with the experience I gained from my first bike going from Parrish to Sarasota is that it's kinda hit and miss. The only trouble I've ever gotten is from an officer that lives up the road from where I just moved to in Bradenton. I don't know where you are in Miami, but I would say the best thing down there might be an electric one so you don't attract attention to yourself because I don't know what the cops are like; I do know the drivers are horrible compared to what I'm adjusted to in Manatee county. If you don't want or can't afford electric, go with a kit engine. There's tons of info on here about them and they're usually cheaper than a diy setup with a bigger engine. Plus, you'll have more luck convincing an officer that it's 49cc instead of 79 or more if you get pulled over for some reason. I started with an old 109cc, 2hp Briggs and the only reason I replaced that engine is because I wanted to go faster. I believe that there is someone in this state that has registered their bike as a homemade/assembled moped; this is something I'm going to look into once my bike can go down the road both under pedal and gas power so I don't get any trouble. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the forums!

Getmore

Oct 12, 2013
Florida
I'm in brevard county and been riding for two months now and haven't had any problems yet.I ride by the rules of the road and stay off the side walks.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Look up moped requirements and build as close as possible to that. Florida isn't a motorized bicycle friendly state. Some of the requirements are: must have peddles, be under 50 cc, automatic transmission, no manual clutching, no gear manual gear shifting to engine's drive system. You should have a horn and the following lights: head, brake, tail and front/rear signal lights. This will meet the requirements of a moped. Find out if there's registration, license and insurance requirements.