Nat' Park riding/Smoky Mt'n in Particular

GoldenMotor.com

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Just scored June reservations. Got "good" spot, but we should have known 2 pounce the moment the 6 month reservation window opened 2 beat out the "in the know" campers 4 the trophy spots. When we went in '09 we took pedal bikes and rode the loop. A great experience. But I have room in the truck 4 both of our bikes AND for my Bikee E2 motorized tandem recumbent. I think it would be just the thing for riding up and down the steeper roads (not trails) at speeds allowing us 2 check things out.

I searched, and it looks like my bike is legal in Tennessee, and that we are legal riders. And I could NOT find any weasel words in the SMNP related web sites about excluding such bikes. These exclusions R common 4 state parks.

So, (1) has anyone seen such exclusions 4 SMNP?, (2) R there general exclusions 4 national parks?, (3) could those with specific experience putting in SMNP share with us?

DBB

Jul 7, 2009
Florida
I would not ride a bicycle, motorized or not, anywhere in the Smokies except the Cade's Cove loop. The roads are narrow, winding, and steep, and vehicles of all sizes take the curves too fast. You will get run over.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
@DBB Thanks, you talked me out of it. We spent 5 days there, 4 years ago, but mostly hiked and did a few things out of the park. So, either I forgot about the bad roads, or we didn't drive on many of them. Either way, I trust your judgement.