Winter fun / pack heater madness?

GoldenMotor.com

n3glv

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Ok, from previous research I have determined that winter here which can get
to -0f and below will require heat to keep the LiFeP04 working.
Bought some 'motorcycle hand grip heaters' from China.
Looking for discussion on this. Will spray glue be good? (think so)
Insulation on outer surface seems a good idea. (Battery is inside a scooter
trunk like commonly used for helmets, on rack).
Recommendations for a sacrificial battery to use for heat?
zpt

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
wish I could help you but we seldom get below 75. that's when we wear a light coat. barely awake rides all winter in Maine and has never had a problem with his lifepo's and the cold. he would be the authority on your motorized bicycle batteries and the cold

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'd be a bit more inclined to just take them inside at night.

During the day when you're riding I would hope that the act of discharging would keep them warm enough.

On the other hand, I don't hardly know a LiPO4 from a hole in the ground. So you'll probably get better suggestions.

But this is the one that came right to mind.

n3glv

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
Bike stored and charged in the house.
But, am also sometimes out for hours in the cold, or have to leave bike out for a couple
hours. I think some of the guys use RC car packs for the sacrificial battery.
Going to try and work up a thermostat to cut them in / out.
fwiw, a LiFeP04 is about 50% capacity @ 0c

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I researched LiFePO4 low temp operation quite extensively when first considering an ebike, interestingly I came to the conclusion that there's no consensus, there's little to no consistency it what's offered as operable temperature ranges. There is the BMS aspect however, that with some systems the battery itself is still preforming within the needed perimeters and can continue to do so w/o damage but due to an otherwise miniscule change in available output the BMS may shut down completely... mine hasn't but the BMS units are all built a little differently from manufacturer to manufacturer (mine is a Ping BTW).

Despite the fact LiFePO4 is affected in cold weather application like any other battery, in practical application I've found that the conditions in which this would be a concern are so extreme or easily circumvented that it's pretty much irrelevant, it's not like the temperamental SLA that pooches out if it's slightly chilly lol

As an all season daily driver & commuter living in coastal Maine, it's been my dubious joy to ride in some rather extreme conditions - I've taken no precautions or made any modifications regarding trying to keep the battery warm except parking it indoors for overnight storage (basement, about 40°F or less) yet I have never, not once experienced any difficulty whatsoever in LiFePO4 operation, even with prolonged subzero usage.

I'd recommend not making any alterations just yet, rather just ride it and see - with this 'un I'd very much suggest waiting to see if there's a problem before fixing it. I'm not saying they're immune to the cold but that they may well tolerate it the same or better than the rider could, making it effectively irrelevant ;)