Woo-Hoo New Donor Bike! (need info)

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Went for an early morning ride and found this at a garage sale. Sign said make offer, offered 10 bucks then had to go home and grab the truck. Im excited because its American made and a cool old black color.

Can anyone guess on the year? I have zero idea lol.

I plan on taking everything off my new and first build and making this my new motored bike.

Thanks for any info fellows!
Dan.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice find Dan, will make a nice motorbike........!

Can't help you on the year model though, I would guess early 70's maybe but I'm really only guessing I just know its better than the china stuff we buy now days.

Map
reddd

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Nice find Dan, will make a nice motorbike........!

Can't help you on the year model though, I would guess early 70's maybe but I'm really only guessing I just know its better than the china stuff we buy now days.

Map
reddd
If Im understanding the serial number correctly I think its a 1978. One of the most obvious differences in the American vs Chinese Huffy is the welds, man the American welds are things of beauty!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah the welds are normally much better looking on the American made frames, some of the high end bike shop bikes that are made in china have really nice welds but those bikes cost $300-$400+ more for those pretty welds, better wheels and maybe a little better brakes.

Main thing is that the welds are good no matter how they look, an ugly weld that has good penetration is a better weld compared to a pretty one that wasnt burned in correctly so the two parts are completey fused.

Map

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
If this doesn't help you D I give up. Here is Huffy's customer service number .
1-800-872-2453 and their open 8am - 8pm central time M-F . Give them the serial numbers and let me what you find out.
dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Nice find, Danshutz. Should make a good foundation for a motor bike.

I don't remember the years but a bike shop owner told me once that if the head badge is metal and riveted on it made the bike more valuable than later ones that used stickers or those cheapies that are held on by double sided tape.

That would be a good research project. Head badges verses year of manufacture.

Tom

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
If this doesn't help you D I give up. Here is Huffy's customer service number .
1-800-872-2453 and their open 8am - 8pm central time M-F . Give them the serial numbers and let me what you find out.
dance1
Thanks!

The forks look 70s
Lol, yeah that's what I was thinking. Reminded me of the forks from when I was a kid.

Nice find, Danshutz. Should make a good foundation for a motor bike.

I don't remember the years but a bike shop owner told me once that if the head badge is metal and riveted on it made the bike more valuable than later ones that used stickers or those cheapies that are held on by double sided tape.

That would be a good research project. Head badges verses year of manufacture.

Tom
Hmm, interesting thought Tom, and makes sense.

Dan.