First time build Nirve switchblade!

GoldenMotor.com

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Hey everyone this will be my first build
I have a Nirve Switchblade a buddy of mine picked up for $50 which I think is a steal no matter what, it needs a new paintjob and has quite a bit of surface rust but nothing that needs replacing besides the rear tire and tube since the dreaded chain rub has claimed another soul.
I have the typical 80cc chinese motor from ebay which I know isn't great but I'd like to work my way up from the basics.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this whole engine mounting process is such a nightmare, I could probably throw it on my diamondback sorrento in an hour but after falling in love with the switchblade I can't just settle like that.
I have seen several motor mounts that seem possible but I'd like to keep it weld free if I can, I'm not entirely against getting it welded I would just like to keep costs down to a minimum since I still have to figure out the chain rubbing issue (my friend says to get a regular sized 24 tire in the rear but the stock "fat ass" tire that comes with it looks so damn good!)
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, since this is my first build I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, I basically just need held with any engine mount ideas

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fang,
I've PMed you with information on the engine mounts. I've never tried to build mounts for the Switchbalde without welding. I'm sure it can be done but it will take some fabrication. Remember, 9/16" off-set to the left will give you tire/chain clearance.

I tension the pedal chain not the engine drive chain. If you go that route be sure to mount the tensioner on the top chain run because the Switchbalde has coaster brakes in the rear.

The earlier Switchblades had no front brakes. The later versions went to front disc. Which do you have? If only rear coasters I'd suggest looking at installing some kind of brakes on that front wheel. You might need a late version fork with the caliper mounts and the matching front hub with rotor mounting capabilities.

The Switchblade is a sweet riding bike when motorized but it takes some work and fabrication to do it right. At $50.00 you got a steal. They typically go for $600 to $700 new.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your build.

Tom