John Deere shifter - fun with paint

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I recently changed my windows screen saver to do a slideshow of my bike build pics and this one always catches my eye.
By the look of it I am thinking mid 2010 when I built that one as it is not near as clean as my new work and only has one brake but I had fun with the paint and it is a pretty original bike.

I can't remember what the bike actually is as john deere doesn't make them but kinda cool anyway I thought ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have worked on JD's for over 30 years, prolly the best looking tractors there are!
That bike looks great!
Thanks Bill, I looked around to see if I could find another as the frame is nice but all I could find was this.

Even though it is toddler size you have to admire the quality.
Front brake and shocks, rear coaster brake, solid frame, rack, etc.
What really struck me as funny was parents will pay $150 so their little kid is on a safe bike that will last pedaling 3 MPH when grown adults buy $99 bikes and throw motors on them and expect to ride them 30+ MPH and last.

To each their own but this pic pretty much sums up how I feel about dirt cheap bikes as an motorized bicycle base.

It may not be this week, or next month, but eventually the thing is going to be a pain in your butt ;-}

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You know, parents don't pay that price because they want the best. They pay that price because they know their kids will kick and scream till they get it. And the manufacturer's know that too, that's why they charge the prices they do. Its crazy in this day and age for anyone to assume that a high price tag automatically means quality. Sure, it looks nice. But so little of what we buy today is actually worth what we are being charged, regardless of its quality. In my mind, most new things we can buy today are probably only actually worth what they might have cost 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. And back then it was much more likely to have been made in America. And people buy those $99 bikes because its what they can afford and they need transportation. That's what an American made bicycle cost about 20 years ago, so why should we be paying more now for something thats made in China, even if it is "better"? Cheap china kit, cheap china bike. I'd rather drive that and save $200, than walk or have someone tell me what I should be buying. As it happens, I am driving an American made Schwinn frame, and this build cost me $800 because custom aint cheap no matter how you slice it. But my first bike was a kmmart cruiser with a grubee kit and only a coaster brake, second bike was a huffy cranbrook with several different engines and several different brake setups. Never had a problem with my frames or my wheels, except due to installation errors which can happen with any bike. The "quality" of any bike is not as important as the skill of the builder. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any bike is only as good as its mechanic. A good mechanic can turn a cheap bike into a dream ride. A bad mechanic can turn a great bike into a pile of parts.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
You know, parents don't pay that price because they want the best. They pay that price because they know their kids will kick and scream till they get it. And the manufacturer's know that too, that's why they charge the prices they do. Its crazy in this day and age for anyone to assume that a high price tag automatically means quality. Sure, it looks nice. But so little of what we buy today is actually worth what we are being charged, regardless of its quality. In my mind, most new things we can buy today are probably only actually worth what they might have cost 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. And back then it was much more likely to have been made in America. And people buy those $99 bikes because its what they can afford and they need transportation. That's what an American made bicycle cost about 20 years ago, so why should we be paying more now for something thats made in China, even if it is "better"? Cheap china kit, cheap china bike. I'd rather drive that and save $200, than walk or have someone tell me what I should be buying. As it happens, I am driving an American made Schwinn frame, and this build cost me $800 because custom aint cheap no matter how you slice it. But my first bike was a kmmart cruiser with a grubee kit and only a coaster brake, second bike was a huffy cranbrook with several different engines and several different brake setups. Never had a problem with my frames or my wheels, except due to installation errors which can happen with any bike. The "quality" of any bike is not as important as the skill of the builder. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any bike is only as good as its mechanic. A good mechanic can turn a cheap bike into a dream ride. A bad mechanic can turn a great bike into a pile of parts.

Yeah...... what he said......!!!!

Lots of truth to this for sure in my opinion, always bgs me when someone starts criticizing someone on the kind of bike they have, people get what the can and do the best they can with what they have, no reason for class warfare, reminds me of the kids in school who thought they were better than everyone else because their parents bought them the latest style of everything....lol!

I always do what I want regardless of what anyone else thinks, never been the type to think I need to keep up with the Jones's, who cares what someone else thinks about what I have if I'm happy with it is how I see it.

Peace, map