New Build- Black La Jolla

GoldenMotor.com

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I decided to try and build one of the black La Jollas since the frame is different from the older ones. It was a heck of a tight fit but I made it. Had to use my dremel tool to change the angle of the inside of the front mount to match the angle of the frame. Had to modify an offset intake manifold but it all came together okay.
What do you guys think of it? Think it will sell or a waste of time?

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Good job. The La Jolla is a difficult build and you did a great job. Did you paint the rims or buy them in that color?

BTR

Jan 15, 2012
Bakersfield
Nice lookin bike, I bought a Schwinn Clairmont to build mine on. I got the whole thing set up, but it doesn't seem to start, I'll ride it, release the clutch and engage the throttle, it makes a little rumble and then it just dies, any ideas what I could do to get it to work?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I decided to try and build one of the black La Jollas since the frame is different from the older ones. It was a heck of a tight fit but I made it. Had to use my dremel tool to change the angle of the inside of the front mount to match the angle of the frame. Had to modify an offset intake manifold but it all came together okay.
What do you guys think of it? Think it will sell or a waste of time?
Very nice. I'm sure you'll be able to sell it. Isn't that a Kent Bicycle? I think their frames are well made.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Yes it is a Kent. I have never had a Kent frame with bad welds. Don`t know if I am just lucky or what. I just never found a reason to not trust one of their frames.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes it is a Kent. I have never had a Kent frame with bad welds. Don`t know if I am just lucky or what. I just never found a reason to not trust one of their frames.
On both of mine it's not just good welds, but also robust size tubing. Kent has been in business for over 100 years.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Because that`s what I do with most of them. I build these bikes on a budget so that the average Joe can afford to get them. A lot of people want one and don`t really want to take the time to build one or are simply afraid to take on the task. Either way, I love to build them and like to make people happy by selling them at a very small profit just so I can keep the ball rolling.

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
donb,
how's the difference in riding the La Jolla w/ alum frame vs say a cranbrook steel frame build?

Just wondering if the inherent weight difference in frames is noticeable when using same engine config

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I don`t know if I can tell any real difference in the comfort part of the ride. I do believe that the La Jolla handles better and I have not had a La Jolla frame crack up like the Cranbrook does when you don`t get your mounts absolutely perfect.