Tire rub

GoldenMotor.com

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
I can't be the only one with this problem!!
The cruiser has a 26x2.125 size tire.... I cannot get the drive chain to stop rubbing the sidewall?? Please help.....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It's more important to have the chain run straight, so look down the chain and make sure the sprocket is on the right way around so it does.
You can run a thinner (1.95) tire.

jeanpi

Nov 9, 2012
west palm beach, florida
i had the same problem i ended up puttin two bolts on the axle on the left side where your sprocket is in between the frame and the coaster brake, then mounted the tire on making sure it was straight, then i bolted the wheel down on the frame, and saw the chain was straight, but to be honest idk if what i did was good, i think it causes tire wear, so maybe you want to try to tightening the chain a bit more

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
I actually have the wheel kicked to the right a touch to help clear.. Although now the sprocket is not perfectly aligned... I will try the narrower tire.

jeanpi

Nov 9, 2012
west palm beach, florida
it's important to keep your sprockat aligned with the drive sprocket on the engine, you see my teacher at my automotive school builds race bikes and he gave me a tip, to take a laser an see if the chain is aligned straight, if not your chain will pop off, so to keep your chain straight nd to keep your tire from wearing or cutting slightly just go with a thin tire,

Yankphan

Feb 12, 2013
Florida
Thanks for the tip... I think the thinner tire will do it... Ordered a 26x1.75 whitewall... How do I post pics ? It's a sweet looking rat !!

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi
find a hub adapter, you can adjust how far in or out the sprocket is, smoother and safer. you can also change different size sprockets on the fly.