DIY Gas Standup Scooter from a 20" BMX Bike

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Speaking of gas scooters, I picked up this guy off CL yesterday for $20:

I *think* it is a 33cc Zooma, or something like it. It was missing a lot of bolts, motor was only held on by 2, etc. After replacing the missing bolts, cleaning the carb and using the right diaphragm (the previous owner tried swapping the carb with a bigger weed eater carb and got parts mixed around), I got her up and running! Then threw the chain.

After properly aligning the motor and rear wheel for a straight chain run, I was able to run around the neighborhood for a bit. I would estimate the speed to be around 20 or so.

The choke lever is broken so the outside lever does not move the choke plate, so I need to fix that and put the air filter back on and adjust the brakes, but I was pleased that she even ran, LOL.

Good luck on your project!

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Not to be an @$$,but $200? Damn,did they break it off so you had a souvenir at least? You can get the rear wheels for $25 from tncscooters. The first link is rim/tire combos. The second is rim only. If you need a front disc wheel the only place that had the disc brake option is at electricscooterparts.com.

http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=68

http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=62

http://electricscooterparts.com/electricscooterwheels.html

I also know where to get the tires for $9.99 each too. Street and knobby tires.
I got them from monster, including all the other stuff needed to run them on the bike, yes $200 is a close estimate, that's why I suggest lowracer pick up that used scooter for $30 NOW!

Everyone's the king cheap bastard until they add up their own receipts mister break it off. :(

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I spent 1900 building,improving my first bike. This time I'm taking it nice and slow and checking everything 10 times before I buy anything. If you took any offense,my bad. And the whole setup(rims,tires,tubes,sprocket,disc rotor,band brake&all the mounting hardware)can be had for $120 before shipping from electricscooterparts.com.

And that IS a sweet deal for an electric scooter. Makes me jealous. I wanted one of those for my original build. Still looking for the deal.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Can't we all just get along...lol
I think since doing the Razor scooter project, my goal will also be to build this thing with parts I have. I'm going to attempt to build this one without buying anything & use parts from regular bicycles which I know more about. Sure I'd love to put 10" x 3" wheels & tires on it for that fat tire look & strength but I dont want to spend the cash for the hardware.
I also like others on the forum to see my creations, get ideas & build their own great projects.
I'm really thinking this one could start a new fad of homebuilt lightweight gas scooters out of BMX bikes. Full suspension would be nice but since you're already standing using legs as shock absorbers. I'm not sure yet about the ideal steering angle. The angle can be altered somewhat by using a larger or smaller front wheel. Yeah that IZIP is a steal of a deal for $30 (probably offer $20) & I may need to get it for the wheels alone.
-Low-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I tell you what, If you buy that scooter I'll give you $20 for the red wheels to make a dog wheelhair out of for my landlords pitbull. Poor thing is limping around and wheelbarrow wheels are heavy.

Never seen a jealous dog before lol!

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Look what I threw in the trunk today...
In my travels, I gave away the electric motor from my now gas powered Razor e325 to one of my business associates who happens to be into electric R/C cars.
He went out back & brought me this to take.
Its a Razor e100 (120 lb weight limit) which once gas motorized would be too weak for me to ride (175 lbs), but I have 2 kids way under 120 lbs & then they wont need to take turns on the e325. The front wheel is a nice pneumatic 200x50 but the back is urethane like a big roller blade wheel. I removed the battery box & all wiring, cut the battery box supports & adjusted the sweet front brake. Too many projects, too little engines...lol
(the brown stuff is dirt, not rust)
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Maurtis,
Nice deal on the ScooterX!
I broke down & sent an email to the guy on CL selling the IZIP.
He still has it & is willing to let it go for $25.
I think it would be worth that for just the wheels, but I may build it up into an operational 'standup only' scooter. Did some research on the scooter & it seems able to hold 180 lbs. Or I'll use the 12" scooter wheels for the bicycle conversion project since they are more durable than the kiddie bike 12" wheels I got.
Decisions...Decisions.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
I'm going to pick up the IZIP scooter on the weekend from the CL seller.
To use the little red wheels I got on the GT bicycle, I'd need to swap axles since they are both too short to get an axle nut on. If these 12" scooter wheels (same size btw) fit the bicycle without much modification, I may go that route.
Here is a pic of a different IZIP (Schwinn labeled) that a member on Gopednation switched to gas & cut the seatpost off....Looks pretty good IMO.
I don't think I'm going to build that little blue Razor e100 from a few posts ago...May use its parts for something (hoarding...lol)
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'm really happy with my APSE wheels like on that Izip, you might find you don't like the tires because they're an endurance compound that has no grip. They slide mega controllably though, so you'll have a blast drifting your scooter MX.

If you find yourself not wanting the motor and controller/throttle lemme know, I want to build another electric of about ~600W with pedals for going to the ridges.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
Does your 12" rear IZIP wheel have threading for a freewheel?
This one I'll be getting has a messed up throttle & no batteries...dont know if controller & motor work or not?
-low-

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Mine has brake disc 6 hole pattern on one side and standard freewheel threading on the other side with a fixed 90t sprocket attached (BTW if you don't want that big #25 sprocket... :) ) , but I've seen some for the schwinn scooters that use them that have double freewheel so the left side can use a thread on brake drum.

The front wheels usually only have a disc attachment on one side.

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Not sure what this one will have, but I will know tomorrow when I go pick it up.
Will take some pics of it & figure out if I'm going the same route as Scooter project #1 or doing this bike into a scooter project.
-lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok,
I picked up the like new condition IZIP 500 with broken electronic throttle for $25 today.
I got it home & started dismantling it. This thing weighs a ton with all the batteries & electric motor on there! I took all that stuff off & filled up the tires full of air. The rear tire still leaked out most of the air so I replaced the tube with one from my 12" kiddie bike wheels. The rear #25 chain sprocket had no freewheel but thankfully is threaded on. I removed it & threaded on my own ACS crossfire flanged freewheel (from a never started shift kit project recently). It has a 32T chainring I'm thinking of driving with a 5:1 12T pocketbike transmission if I dont go friction drive for this project. The scooter rolls nice & is very sturdy (max 240 lb limit). I'll install my own caliper front brake (it has a rear band brake that works well). So this means I won't be doing the 'bicycle to scooter project' as originally planned.
I'm going to start a new thread now called "IZIP to GAS Scooter Project" & post a bunch of new pics I took today on that thread.
I'll add the link here once I get it done.
-Lowracer-

Last edited: