Best way to mount fenders on a springer

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Over the last few years I have read all the bad things about running fenders and all the possible problems they can cause. I am not really looking to rehash any of that. Fenders are a wanted must on my bike...so what I am looking for is some information regarding the best way to mount fenders to a springer fork? My current setup is that I have beefed up the center mount tab considerably and mount the fender to the stationary lower headtube mount and then leave the braces that run to tha axle off. This way the fender is stationary and does not pivot with the springer. On a springer..it is not possible to have it mounted to a stationary point at one point and a moving point at another. Something is going to bust from the constant stress and possibly cause a real problem for the bike and the rider. What I am wondering is if maybe it would be better to use two braces that run to axle and not have it mounted at the lower head tube at all? This seems to me that maybe that would provide extra points on the fender that could be strengthened? The reason I am asking is that I oredered a new set of Nirve Skirted fenders that I want to use and thought maybe someone in here could offer me some mounting advice that I have not considered. Running without fenders is not an option for me...so I like to do everything I can to make them as strong, safe and resistant to as much stress as possible. Thanks in advance.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I think your thoughts on using the two main fork tubes as the mounting point for the fender is the best area to use. Then run the normal strut braces down to the axle and now fender and forks all move as one unit.

You could make a U shaped top bracket that goes between the forks and goes on the inside of the fender to mount it there.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I used metal strapping to make a mounting point on the front two fork tubes and used three bolt/nut combinations. Two to cinch down the strapping and the third to hold the center of the fender. Then the fender struts go to the axle as normal. Since the entire assembly pivots you don't have any issues. The slight amount of forward rotation of the fender to get this to work isn't noticeable.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I replaced the stock metal tab with a small cut down T-hinge, with the center hole of the horizontal, bolted to the forks, and 2 bolts thru the vertical part fastened to the fender.

The hinge allows the fender to move with the wheel without anything cracking.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
On the surface, the hinge idea looks like a good idea, but I fear it's only totally effective if the hinge point and the fork pivot point are the same, which is unlikely. Otherwise it's still forcing the fender to flex. The hinge may alleviate this a little, but not eliminate it. Flexing fenders eventually become broken fenders.

I discovered this after an 8 mile ride on my springer forked "Army" bike. The ride went well but as I rolled the bike down the stairs to store it, the fender, which had literally flexed in half by that point, rotated forward and locked the front tire. Luckily I was OFF the bike, walking it down the stairs at this point. Had this happened when I was going 30mph on my 8 mile ride I'd have been in pretty bad shape.

I still think mounting the center of the fender to a mount constructed across the front struts, which pivots with the entire assembly. Mounting the fender in this way means it doesn't flex at all...well, other than with the wind whistling through it.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Hey CK, springer front ends are a proven way to smooth out a ride on two wheels. I have custom springers on both of my MBs which proves I am a big fan. As the photos show, my fenders are attached to the fork tubes which isolates them from the movement of the wheel and the springer push rods. On the red bike, the heavy ducktail fender is connected to the original tab mount, plus two struts are used for reinforcement. I used heavier Whizzer struts to reduce flexing. The strut mount is one of the curved plates from a rag joint for mounting sprockets to a rear wheel. It just happened to be the right configuration. The Stiletto fender is from a Schwinn OCC bike, it's attached to mounts that were originally intended for foot pegs. These mounts are bolted to the fork tubes and like the mounts on the red bike just happened to be the right configuration. I've put a good number of miles on both bikes with no problems. I hope this helps..we.

Attachments

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Thanks for all the great input and ideas. Scootmeister....your right. This is my second bike with springer forks and I would not want to be without them. It really does soften up the ride.

I use my motorized bike to go fetch my mail at the post office everyday and even when the streets are wet. So fenders are a must as well for me. Both my first motorized bike and my current motorized bike have both had front fenders. Its just that I always just use the center mount and leave the braces off which can make them flex and a bit flimsy. I do reinforce the center so they don't crack with vibration, but I knew there had to be some better ways to mount them then what I was doing.

My fenders are suppose to be here by this next tuesday and I went to the hardware store this morning and bought some good hardened "U" clamps and will clamp the fenders from each side instead of from the top and clamp them to the fork itself like has been suggested here. Then I will run my braces to the axle. This will make the fender a part of the moving part of the fork itself and eliminate any mounting point in which the fender would be stressed. Mounting a fender at a stationary spot in one area and a moving spot in another area is really a recipe for disaster. I am so glad to hear that Aslansmonkey caught his broken fender while he eas not riding. That could have been bad. Thanks again for all the input.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
One additional pointer. If you are mounting your brace to the wheel axle you will need to put it either on the inside of the wheel nut or on the outside of the nut holding the springer swingarm in place. The sequence would be: fender brace, wheel nut tightened to specs, swingarm, locknut loose enough to allow swingarm to pivot; or, wheel nut tightened to specs, swingarm, locknut that allows swingarm to pivot, fender brace, locknut tightened to specs. I used the latter sequence to give more clearance between the fork and fender brace. Obviously your brace needs to be long enough to provide enough clearance for the wheel to pivot up when the spring is compressed. I designed mine for maximum travel to give a cushy ride. On a bumpy road it gets a workout. Ride on!!!!

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Well...I got the fenders mounted and they fit real nice. Bolted the fender through the sides and onto the moving fork so everything moves as one unit.
I couldn't be more pleased.
They look great! I really like the mini skirts. I'm in the process of reworking a few things on mine and I think I'll follow your example and mount the fender to the moving part of the fork so the fender is closer to the wheel. I'm on the fence about white walls on mine but they look great on yours.

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
CK, Wheelbender, and Harold B, all look great. No more rain spray all over your engine!! One suggestion based on my experience picking up parts from the road after a ride, watch your connection points closely until you are sure they are sound. You will be surprized how busy the springer can get on a bumpy road and all of that movement(vibration) is transfered to your fender mounts. When one of mine breaks, I replace it with a heavier mount. I also isolated my mounting points to the forks instead of the pushrods to eliminate most of the movement. I know it doesn't look quite as good because you have to provide clearance for the wheel movement. But, heh, welcome to the springer club, let us know how you like the feel.