Source for clutch material

GoldenMotor.com

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Hi all,

Looking to replace my stock square clutch pucks in my 66cc HT with something a little more durable. From asking about, it looks like Dean at Pipelyne only has the round pucks, and others who can make them are not doing so at this time.

So, time to roll my own. Does anyone have a good source for a small amount of the high friction material for these things?

I checked McMaster-Carr and I think the stuff in the strips would be easy enough to work with and cheap, the semi-metallic high-strength strips. The coefficient of friction is only a little lower than the high friction sheet material and the max operating temp is a little lower, but they do take a lot less pressure.

Anyone think that would work? I found a post from a guy on a forum that uses that material to make brake pads for his ATV with good success, and we all know you can believe everything you read on the internet! The high friction sheet material would probably work better, but since it is 9x more expensive and probably harder to work with since I only have hand tools available, I would certainly prefer the strips...

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
You need to search, but there was a member making his own. Where he got the material, I don't remember, as I don't need to make my own, at least not at this time.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
LOL, if you only knew... I think I spend more time searching on this site than reading current posts! And FWIW, the search function on this site works incredible. Other forums I have been on have terrible search capabilities, but the one here is an absolute joy.

From what I found, people mentioned using material from McMaster-Carr, one guy said he worked with strips, so assume he meant the semi-metallic, someone else used the sheets. Others have sourced their "carbonite" from undisclosed locations, or used actual brake pad material, once again from undisclosed locations.

Mapbike made some previously, and said he may make some more in the future, but does not have any available currently. There was the guy who was making them to sell through Pistonbikes, but apparently he took some people's money and was never heard from again? He had a post in the Swap and Shop section, but it had not been updated in a while...

Last edited:

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
I have been looking for clutch material for some time . The material at McMaster-Carr comes in difference grades not sure of the proper one . I don't think the semi-metallic would be a good choice because of the greased gears and bearing , it's abrasive . If I was sure of right grade of material I would make a few sets to try . Dan

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
I got some material from McMaster Carr . I cut up 15 pads to try with the help of Turkman . Did a quick burn in an went for a ride . Clutch work great well see how they hold up . Dan

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
If those work out and you have enough material for another set, I would LOVE a set! My wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day, that would be it, better clutch pads!

dance1

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
How did the weekend ride go? Does the clutch bite well? Looking to replace my stockers, I think I fried them a little while ago. Degreased and roughed with sandpaper, they still like to slip when starting the bike hot even though the clutch is tiiiiight. I hate to put a new set of crappy stock pads back in!

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
The clutch in my bike is working very good . No slipping when in gauged , can be slipped to take off . Installed one in another bike an it not working as well it very sensitive to adjustment . Need more mileage for a good test . Dan

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Good to hear! I wish I could make a good test mule for you, but I only ride on the weekends for fun since I work from home, so do not put many miles on myself, lol. On a good week I might put on 50 miles, but usually closer to 20.

I will look forward to updates on the FX Grabby Paddies! dance1

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Hey FX, any update on the Grabby Paddies? My bike has been out of commission (frame cracked) for a few weeks and when I get her back together will be wanting to ride, HARD! heehee

.wee.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
what clutch material should be used high med or low friction or the nonmetal strips and what thinckness need to replace the crappy pink eraser type pads they sux and have no grip >.<