Got my california M-1 indorsment today

GoldenMotor.com

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
California requires us to have an M-1 or a M-2 endorsement to ride our bikes,so last year I wanted to get legal so I went into my DMV an took the written test an passed, that got me the M-2 which is a motorcycle permit,no night riding only good a year, well mine was set to expire on the 20th of July so I looked on craigslist an found an ad for a guy with a bike and insurance that I could use to take the test,he told me which office he uses an to call an get an appointment for the next day(today)I show up an hour early he shows me the course an what to expect and we go down the block to a big parking lot and I practice the test on his bike for a 1/2 hour, I go inside sign some papers an take the test ,I PASSED first try I go back to the lot give him his bike and$65.00 All done I'M LEGAL,an I can ride at night. Anyway it was a positive experience. Later Bob

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
I took the test at the Bellflower DMV cause that is where the guys is,it took about 2 hours total,the test itself takes about 10 mins, the guy that was testing after me said he saw the test on you tube PM me if you want his # Later Bob

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
My way is more fun.

Just go buy a used beater motorcycle for $500 or less. There's lots of them out there. Do the written, ride the bike around for a couple of months, ride the bike around the circle at the DMV lot and go pass the test.

Then sell the beater bike for what you bought it for.

Easy.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
congrats, turk!

there's a bunch of guys on craigslist with 150cc scooters who let you use it for the test. no gears.

i renewed my permit a couple months ago, and my roomate bought a harley. his bro has a vespa that's 150 or more cc's, and when he gets back from touring (guitar tech for a band called "clutch") we're gonna take the skills test.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Congrats on the M-1 (^) I got mine in 1973 when I was 16, they were easy to get back then and I don't recall them even having an M-2 back then.

A funny thing, my dad who is now 79 and has held an M-1 before me noticed a couple years ago that his M-1 was no longer on his California Drivers license. He went down to the DMV and asked him why this was and they just put it back on for him then and there. I guess when you get older the DMV just assumes you don't ride on two-wheels any longer.........kinda figures don't it? laff

I you're over 70 yrs. old, keep an eye on yer M-1 when getting your license re-newed. If it disappears, kindly remind them........you're not done riding till yer done!

.wee.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
I also got mine back in the 1970s. Back then it was called Class 4. When I showed up to the DMV in San Fernando I had to take a 10 question written test. Then the examiner took me out back and had me ride up and down the alley, then do a circle and figure-8. That was it, I passed.

Now, like everything else, it's a whole lot more complicated and there's a bunch of paperwork involved. They sure know how to take the fun out of everything.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It was easy to get in the 80's when I got mine. I did have to slamon the cones and do the circle, but the circle is painted on the parking lot, so's it's not like you don't know what's coming.

It is harder than straight line though. Fast and straight is easy. Slow and curvy is harder.