A hazard I never considered.

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
This afternoon as I was leaving work I stopped to check the traffic as I always do. When the cars cleared there was nothing but another bike about a block or so away so I pedaled out trying to get my engine warmed up to the idea of carrying me home. Suddenly I hear an echo from my left and realized I am being passed by another rider on a China Girl bike. I never realized the oncoming bicycle was motorized and because of its narrow profile didn't register how fast it was moving. We are increasing in numbers so I guess the lesson is "Don't assume!"

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Wow thats true, same thing goes for drivers of cars, they are not expecting a bike to go that fast and would pull out in front of you, we need to be very careful and defensive when riding our M.Bs!!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
So many actual motorcycles today have headlights which are lit as soon as the ignition key is turned on. That headlight, even in the daytime, can be seen almost subconsciously by other drivers. They also have tail lights and turn signals, horn, etc.

Everyone riding one of these motorized bikes today should consider having a bright headlight in use anytime while under way. Better that we consider this stuff and consider our safety before law enforcement & traffic officials decide to regulate if for us.

I got a taste of this earlier today from a Honda Dealer when buying some small fuel line clamps.

I was in a motorcycle shop parts dept today getting some things for my Tanaka motor as they had what I wanted there. When the parts guy and owner ganged up on me asking about "those Chinese bicycle motors" they've troubled with of late. It seemed they are having people coming in wanting parts now, and the owner refuses to mess with them. The owner claimed he has no parts numbers for them and couldn't understand why people would build up $500+ bicycles when they could buy one of his HONDA, YAMAHA, or SUZUKI scooters that was compliant with the highway safety rules, had warrenty, parts availability, tech service available, etc etc....and his vehicles would outlast anything from China. He just couldn't understand.

I told him alot of it was about gas milage and alot of guys had an old bike laying around and they could add a bolt on helper motor and enjoy the tinkering like they did as kids. But I could tell this guy was thinking laws, business, and money. (no comprehension of why some peole would enjoy
having something they built with their own hands....and to nearsited to understand he can still sell parts and accessories to them) I think he's just convensed himself it's killing his sales in these hard economic times.

After I left and drove down the road I was thinking.....that perhaps those selling these China Girls should consider buying and selling just the motor unit
as an aftermarket replacement so they won't have to inventory parts. (other than rings, pistons, or a clutch disk. Any real problems....just buy the little motor unit and slam it into the frame and break it in and keep going. Cause the motorcycle places aren't too charmed to see a China Girl rider drive up.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I rode for years and years peddling the rules change for checking with an eng bee carefullll! try to be nice tooo!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This afternoon as I was leaving work I stopped to check the traffic as I always do. When the cars cleared there was nothing but another bike about a block or so away so I pedaled out trying to get my engine warmed up to the idea of carrying me home. Suddenly I hear an echo from my left and realized I am being passed by another rider on a China Girl bike. I never realized the oncoming bicycle was motorized and because of its narrow profile didn't register how fast it was moving. We are increasing in numbers so I guess the lesson is "Don't assume!"
Wow. Great point. Thanks for posting. We now have 3 MBs in my happy lil town and I never thought of that.