Engine seized up!

GoldenMotor.com

yiperoo

Jan 28, 2012
Hacienda Heights, CA
Hi! I rode for about half an hour before my bike suddenly stop going with engine still revving. It appears that the chain is locked and seized up with the motor since the rear wheel still turns? Did the chain get stuck inside the engine or something much worst? I just missed my class because I had to bike the rest of the way to school. Also, the plate on the rear wheel, (clutch plate?) is loose in that it can be moved a little bit wheel clutch is disengaged, is that normal? Thanks!

-newbie:-||

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Sounds like you're saying the rear sprocket is loose? no, that's not good. What kind of motor do you have?

yiperoo

Jan 28, 2012
Hacienda Heights, CA
Chinese motor. :(

The chain is stuck in the motor. It can run but the chain can't move since the motor ran, just couldnt move the chain. The chain actually came off when it seized up so maybe the chain did not have enough tension and it jumped or got stuck in the motor housing? I can't check right now because I don't have tools with me.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Your chain is probably bunched up under the chain cover. Take the cover off and have a look. That's a common problem when the chain is too loose.

You need to make sure your rear sprocket is straight and true with the front sprocket, and adjust the tensioner.