Help me Norm! engine struggling to start :(

GoldenMotor.com

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
Hello! I have a regular 50cc chinese 2 stroke engine that I have built on my schwinn occ chopper last spring. I haven't driven it since then and its been sitting out in my balcony with a towel over it. Now after some cleaning here and there, replacing the stock spark plug with a champion CJ7Y, but I still find that it will not start.
I'll go down a hill around 15mph, pop the clutch and still little response from the throttle. Checked the gas, airflow, and electricity and I am stumped... please help me Norm!

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
I have no kill switch and checked all wiring. everything is good,
just checked the clutch to see if it was slipping and negative.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd start by draining that old fuel mix from the tank and carburetor. 2 cycle mix, gas and oil, has a short 'shelf life' and can be a source of problems. A lot of the fuel might have evaporated leaving an oil rich mix in the carb. Mix up a new batch with fresh gasoline and a 24:1 mix of a good quality 2 stroke oil.

You said you "checked the electrical". What does that mean? Have you confirmed you have ignition (spark) ?
Is fuel flowing from the tank to the carburetor?
Is the choke open and operational?
Check some of these basics and let us know what you find.
Tom

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Draining the old gas is the best first step. Other than going stale, there's a good chance your old gas has water in it from condensation, just sitting there as long as it did!

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
There wasn't any gas or liquid for any matter in it when I got it out of the balcony. I currently have 50:1 ratio, i will add the needed amount of oil to rule this out.
But so far I have NOT been able to confirm any spark, I think it is electrical because while gas and air is plenty, no signs of spark is showing. I replaced the stock plug with a champion CJ7Y and double checked the wiring (to see if it matches), so i guess it can be the CDI or magneto?

Last edited:

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
replaced the CDI and magneto with new ones and still no go.

checked the fuel line for fuel, still no go.

took off the air filter and checked the choke, still no go.

rebuilt the carb, checked for good air flow and still nothing

opened up the engine block to check for moisture, it was a negative and sprinkled gasoline.
still no go.

whats up with this thing? I'm starting to really want to give up

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Yes, but do you have a spark? Check it at night or a dark garage. I just laid mine on the head and pushed the bike around in circles. You will easily see if you have a spark or not.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Recheck your wiring connections and for testing purposes disconnect the kill switch. If you're relying on the kit supplied plug-in connectors, get rid of them. Solder the connections and protect with heat shrink tubing. The plug-in connectors can be a source of trouble. They do not provide for a good electrical connections, especially if they've ever been exposed to moisture.
Tom