SBP Ex. Chamber
Dax RT Carb
Boost
NGK Sparkplug
32:1
800 ft. elev.

Ok, that's the bike.

Here's the problem:

Was running Great then about 20 miles ago, started to bog/sputter bad, and started to lose power.

Checked for air leaks, thoroughly, and none.
Re-torqued all bolts, nice and tight.

10 miles ago, got worse, would start up fine, idle ok, and ride ok, but losing power, and then, sometimes wouldn't idle, would just die.

Did the above checks again, and all seemed good.

5 miles ago, worse. Hard to start, then would barely pull me (185lbs) at level riding, and would struggle REAL hard to get up to speed, but then, when finally there would do OK up to about 25mph.

But, it would hardly idle.

Finally, about 1 mile ago, she simply would no longer start!

So, I trouble-shot and found I wasn't getting spark with my old CDI, so I put on a brand new one, and with a brand new spark-plug, giving me GOOD spark,
she still, simply, will, not, start. UGGH!

Any thoughts?

By the way, plug color is black and wet.

Could this be a magneto issue? Not ENOUGH spark?

Thanks in advance!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
good spark? if so you could have a lost or sheared timing key on the magneto rotor. you might be able to see the keyway on the shaft and the keyway on the rotor and see if they are still in line.

his196

Jun 19, 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Ok, woodruff back in, checked magneto connections, all good.

Checked for seal leak while in there, nice and clean/tight.

Put it back together nice 'n tight, and then tested sparky for spark.

Good looking spark I suppose.

And...still won't start!

Not a single pop of the fuel.

Gonna try starter fluid tomorrow, maybe it's just way too wet in there now after all the attempts.

NOTE: I did notice that when I pulled my muffler to access the magneto, and set it down, a good 4 or five teaspoons worth of brown exhaust goop poured out. How would I 'flush' the muffler/ex-chamber to make sure it's clean/not clogged?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
let the pipe air out. you could spray carb cleaner or brake clean into the pipe and then let it air dry.
when you put the key back on the shaft did you super glue the key in? I've found that that key can be a real pain to keep in place while installing the magneto rotor. The key will tend to jump out and stick to the magneto rotor.
Now for spark plug gap try 0.017 to 0.020 gap. If your plug was oily and nasty it may be close to being fowled. so a new plug may help.