Robin 35 + FD = max power?

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I weight 240 lbs and am considering getting a Subaru Robin 33.5cc plus a Staton friction drive. I can't afford his Honda 50cc. I'm not particularly interesting in speeds over 20 mph. If I get a smaller roller (such as 7/8" or 1"), will the Robin 33.5cc be able to pull me up moderate hills? How about if I load up the bike with another 20-30 lbs of gear?

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
It sounds to me like you're asking for an awful lot out of that tiny engine....they are a great little engine, as far as little engines go.
That's what I'm afraid of. :p Any other 50cc 4 strokes out there that are cheaper than the Honda? I'd prefer a non-chinese 4 stroke if possible, problem is I've got champagne tastes but a beer budget. ;)

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
i try to be usa and high quality myself , it seems honda and subaru both have went china way too , you couldn't make me belive my 35 cc subaru wasn't made in china , cause no where on it dose it say made in japan , i feel this right here is the best 4 stroke bang for the buck and will be buying one myself ...

49cc Gas Powered 4 Stroke Engine 5/8" Shaft

its a copy of the honda 50 , the only problem i have seen with them ,is people over reving them and that slings the rod out , just buy you a tach and don't rev it past its 7000 rpm redline and it should last a long time , and i would use a 7/8 inch roller for maximum torque , it will top out at about 20 mph , with dudes our size i wouldn't recomend less than a 50 cc 4 stroker , and then you will still have to pedal on some hills ...

Keith.cs.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
"Everything is made in China" now a days. ;) Wouldn't surprise me if most components in Japanese motors were made in China. I've dealt with Chinese imports for a while. The difference, I've found, is who manages the factory. For some companies, they send their engineers and managers over to China to oversee every step of the manufacturing process. That's the only way you can insure the final product is within good quality standards. If Honda / Subaru are having their motors built in China, I bet that's how they're doing it.

Checked out that motor before. Not sure about that vendor, haven't heard much about Helios. The motor sure is heavy though, 15 lbs, that's 2x what a Robin weighs. Ouch. I also looked at the Tecumsah 2 stroke, but it's even heavier.

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
R/S is made by fuji heavy industries, they make subaru cars too. If you know anything about soobie cars youll understand the quality in a r/s motor. On my r/s it says made in japan on the pullstart cover plus a sticker on the casing.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Kauhna,

I've read in several of your recent posts that the HS142 or Honda Motor weigh 15lbs? Where did you come across this specification? I run a Honda GXH50 in frame and the motor weighs approx. 10 lbs not 15lbs. The HS motor seems to be a very good motor. and its hard to beat the Price. The version with the 5/8 shaft is probably the better way to go than the CC version in my opinion as it gives you the most options for reduction drives etc. If you could hold out until the folks at bicycle-engines get in their new shipment of Grubee Kits you could put together an inframe kit for probably $400.00? I know you would still have some challenges to make everything fit the bike you have, but I've spent some time checking out the bike a a couple of local wal-marts and think it is a very doable set-up to put one of these 4-stroke kits in frame in that bike.

ocscully

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
R/S is made by fuji heavy industries, they make subaru cars too. If you know anything about soobie cars youll understand the quality in a r/s motor. On my r/s it says made in japan on the pullstart cover plus a sticker on the casing.
Yes, Robin engines are made in Japan still. Honda built a state of the art small engine facility in Thailand that maintains traditional Japanese QC.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Kauhna,

I've read in several of your recent posts that the HS142 or Honda Motor weigh 15lbs? Where did you come across this specification? I run a Honda GXH50 in frame and the motor weighs approx. 10 lbs not 15lbs. The HS motor seems to be a very good motor. and its hard to beat the Price. The version with the 5/8 shaft is probably the better way to go than the CC version in my opinion as it gives you the most options for reduction drives etc. If you could hold out until the folks at bicycle-engines get in their new shipment of Grubee Kits you could put together an inframe kit for probably $400.00? I know you would still have some challenges to make everything fit the bike you have, but I've spent some time checking out the bike a a couple of local wal-marts and think it is a very doable set-up to put one of these 4-stroke kits in frame in that bike.

ocscully
I don't think I've ever said anything about the Honda, but I did go to the Honda clone site and that's where it said the motor weight was 15 lbs. It's possible that the clone is 5 pounds heavier than the true Honda, but it's also possible it was a misprint.

I've pretty much settled on using a friction drive for my first build. I really don't want to risk subjecting the bike to any more stresses than I have to. I also can't afford to continually fix things, so this first build needs to be pretty close to plug and play.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My first gas-engined MB was a 20" Dahon folder w/Subaru and 1.125" friction roller. I weighed 180 lbs then, and top speed on a slight decline was 27mph.drn2

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I spoke with Dave Staton the other day and swears that the RS EH035 plus a 1" roller will work for me. I sure hope he's right! ;)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You'll be fine.

I weigh 215 and got the 1 1/8" roller. It has plenty of torque.

You're gonna love it. So smooth and quiet.