Us and Them (w/ a happy ending)

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
We are having a positive impact and being appreciated in our communities. Even if it's just making people smile!

I know that in the case of the bicycle community we're not exactly the bee's knees in a lot of cases. The motorcycle community is quite another story judging from my recent experience.

Aug 30th '09 The Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiest Club put on their 27th annual Isle of Vashon TT held on Vashon and Maury Islands WA State. A 28 mile loop around the island gathering a card at each of 5 stops to assimilate a poker hand for the raffle at the Sportsmens Club. About a thousand m/c's show up each year I would guess. People that live on the Island enjoy the event, come out to see the bikes, and love the business that it brings!

I had been to this event many times on motorcycles. This year I decided to ride the mb! Went over for the day had a great time and became the 1st motorbicycle to circle the Island TT. People were amazed; many motorcyclists pulled up next to me to clock my speed! Top speed was "oh $#!+" mph coasting/pedaling down sw Cedarhurst rd trying to keep up w/ some m/c's on the north end of the Island. Vashon is a hilly Island and not for the faint of heart on bicycle or mb (did someone say gravel, bumps and potholes).

Was supposed to meet up w/ some guys from the Forum; they came over on a much later ferry. I managed to say hi to one of them after I had looped the Island. They were just starting on the loop. Never saw 'em back at the Sportsmans Club. Was good to see 'em though!

This month the newsletter came out w/ pics from the rally and in the center spread there's a picture of me on my 2smoke 'racer (4th pic below top center)! Out of 1000 or so bikes, many vintage and rare, FireBelly got his picture in the newsletter! What An Honor! It wasn't me or the bike per se. It was the whole thing. It was some guy on a vintage lookin' bicycle w/ an engine strapped to it looping a 28 mile hilly island TT course! The response was nothing short of amazement. Many smiles were shared. And that, for me, is what it's all about!

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tyre,
Thank you very much for sharing that with us. It had to be a fun and unforgetable experience. What better way to show off what we are all about. You're a true ambassador. Thanks again.
Tom

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Right on, had to share it! It was a blast!

Getting people on our side is that easy! If we continue to act in a safe and responsible manner, especially when large groups of people are watching, we'll win the understanding of regular folks. Every adventurous kid there ever was thought about puttin' a motor in a bicycle. At least entertained the thought. You just gotta reintroduce them to their inner child. Funny, some groups don't need too much reminding!

Anyway, glad you guys enjoyed the story, I enjoyed the experience!