Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Mechanical Components > Wheels, Brakes and Suspension

Wheels, Brakes and Suspension Keep your motorized bicycle on the road with suspensions, rims, tires and disk, drum and caliper brakes

built my first wheel

Keep your motorized bicycle on the road with suspensions, rims, tires and disk, drum and caliper brakes

Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: built my first wheel

Well, here's the deal. I dont like this fork. It seems to flex a lot compared to my other one, and it makes me slightly uncomfortable trusting it. So, I'm going to need a new fork. I was thinking about a suspension fork anyways, so I guess its ok. Any recommendations on a suspension fork? I like the looks of a springer, but I don't really like the design of the affordable ones for use with a drum, so maybe a tube one is better. I know squat about suspension forks. I'll be reading... any advice is appreciated, and I'd like to keep it under $100 which should be very realistic. I use a 1-1/8 threaded steer tube.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

All of my bikes are old and use a 1" diameter fork. There are adapters available so you can use an older type in your bike, but I know nothing about them. It would be easy to find a nice moped fork for well under a hundred. There is some variety in the length of the steering tube it will fit, so that is something to check. If the fork is a little long you can use a few shims to make up the difference. I've had real good luck with moped forks.
SB
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

So it's finally warmer out and I've spent some time getting everything set for riding season. What I have learned was an important lesson. First of all, both of my forks are a 1" threaded not 1-1/8. That was a silly assumption from looking up online specs rather than measure myself. Not having researched 1" headtubes, I missed an important lesson. The fork I swapped was a threaded 1" ISO. My bike was 1" threaded JIS. Whoops, there are tiny differences that amplify when put together. The wobble I felt was the bearings not seating properly due to the tiny differences. If I had ridden around like this I imagine some damage to me or the bike would have happened. I had no idea there were two types of 1" threaded headsets. Lesson Learned. I swapped the headset cups and bearings/races from the iso set and made them fit. My (steel) headtube had no trouble accepting the cups without deformation. My fork is solid as a rock. Time to finish the exhaust!