Toss up honda 4 Stroke or mitsubishi 2 Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Heres what I am looking @ NuVinci Honda GXH50 49.3cc 2.10 hp Four Cycle 350% Engine and Pedal shifting kit. for $1059 or the NuVinci Mitsubishi 43cc Engine and 350% Pedal shifting kit 2 cycle for $899.00. They are almost the same as far as horspower goes. I want to do a geared bike and this kit seems to have everything that I have been looking at in it. I cant fit a motor in the frame of the bike I want to build. Bike does have nice disks and a nice front shock. I wanted to just do the 80cc two stroke with sick bike parts shifter kit but they dont fit..
Any Input people...
Thanks
Justin

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
geez for that kind of cash i would just go purchase a real scooter and have less hassles to worry about like registrations and insurance. Anyone putting more than 400 bucks into these motors and bikes is kinda wasting money that could be spent on way better equipment .
Just my opinion ................

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
go get a moped,scooter or car for that price.
and i have the same size/shape of your frame and i have a 48cc dual start gt2 grubee shoehorned in the v-frame.my top speed so far is 32mph and will do more.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I had written this on http://motorbicycling.com/f14/need-advise-toss-up-between-two-7509.html but some how disappeared.

Howdy Troy, welcome. Man! both are awesome choices. I have a Honda with the Grubee GB and can't say enough good about the engine. Really, smooth and lots of power. I have no experience with the Mitsubishi.

I really want that GB!

(from their web page)
"Our 18.75 to 1 gear box has a Life Time Warranty on the Gears. If any gear fails EVER we will replace it at no charge. We have many years of our gear box in use and know they are by far the BEST you can buy. Our gear box is by far the very best quality and very, very Quiet. We have current customers who have more than 60,000 + miles on our gear boxes and they are still running strong. Our gear box will NEVER need replaced and it's made to last a Life Time and them some. Made in the USA. We have been building our highest quality gear and chain drive kits since 1984."

Well I posted a lot and was of lil or no help, lol

Anyway, welcome and keep us posted on what you decide and please post a review.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
yea but Dan,

sure that motor and gear box are prolly top of the line as far as quality goes, But why pay that kind of cash for something as simple as adding a motor to a bicycle. It just does not make financial sense to be honest. Im not bashing a person for wanting the very best , but motors and bicycles are defiantly for people strapped for cash, and or who just want cheap entertainment such as myself and dont want to spend a bundle on them.

If I spent as much as this engine cost on a bike motor my wife would just laugh at me and say " you should have gotten a motorcycle or descent scooter for that money". So would my friends ya know.

but yea thats my 2 cents , just go with a cheap china girl and strap it to your free 10 speed and be happy you got it all done for under 150 bucks

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
well if you really want to get one of those high price engines get the smaller one,the big one is bigger than a 20" tv.or you could go with a 4-stroke from gasbike.net for $250.
your other option is a 48cc 2-stroke in frame with a shifter kit.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
take a look at this ghx50 4-stroke,its like 2 feet tall and looks like it weights more than 12lbs,but i checked and it weights 12lbs plus 7lbs for hub.

Attachments

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I can't speak to the Mitsu, but I have the Honda and it smooth reliable and all around great! I don't know if it is $200 better, though. Personally, I'm just a 4 stroke kind of guy.

And guys....I spent well over $1000 on my setup (well, well over) if I wanted a scooter, I would have bought one. Don't tell a guy who wants to spend some money on a good setup that he should buy a scooter...I'm sure he knows what he wants.

Not everyone in this hobby is strapped for cash. Frankly, I'm not. This is just what some of us wanted to get into.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I can't speak to the Mitsu, but I have the Honda and it smooth reliable and all around great! I don't know if it is $200 better, though. Personally, I'm just a 4 stroke kind of guy.

And guys....I spent well over $1000 on my setup (well, well over) if I wanted a scooter, I would have bought one. Don't tell a guy who wants to spend some money on a good setup that he should buy a scooter...I'm sure he knows what he wants.

Not everyone in this hobby is strapped for cash. Frankly, I'm not. This is just what some of us wanted to get into.

Amen, ayup and yes Sir. You are right

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
yeah but if i was going to spend $8,000 on a jet engine for a 10-speed to go for a bike ride,everybody would tell me to get a motorcycle.and if i tell people i bought a toaster for $500, a lot of poor people would be mad at me.but anyway $1,000 is a lot of money for a lawnmower engine to put on back of bike when it cost probally only $200 to make the whole kit at the factory.

for a $1,000 you should atleast get the bike and engine together.

O and everyone he already picked a engine,he picked the $800 mitsubishi 2-stroke smaller one.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
the point is you do what you like. If you have no knowledge or experience with equipment, you might look bad explaining to others why they are making a bad/good or any thing else choice. By the way, jet engines for bicycles only cost around $200 and cheap toasters suck.

troyboy

Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
I am going with the mitsubishi. This kit comes with the nuvinci hub which is suppose to be sick. and statton inc.'s gear drive which has a lifetime warranty.. Price is not just for the engine. its for the engine the gear drive and the nuvinci hub.. How come nobody is talking about the nuvinci hub. The infamous CVT I thought these were the latest in motor bike geared hubs..You people are talking about toasters and jet engines and telling me to get a scooter. I think the idea of being able to achieve these levels of fun on a bicycle are just great and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who appreciates quality items in which I have inquired about. I have a motorcycle and a scooter, now I want a motorized bike.... A Nice one that stops and goes up hills from a stop and cruises down the flats without it sounding like a pushrod is going to shoot your nuts off ok. I should have been more specific I guess.. My first day. Maybe I dont want my motorized bike to look like a tiny motorcycle. With a tiny gas tank. Thats what my ambassador is for.
Thanks for everything guys..
Peace

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really sorry about all that Troy. I promise you that is out of the norm here. Quality and dedication to the art and camaraderie are the usual. There are some incredible builds done by members. Have you seen Houghmade's? Incredible. (I just happened to have, had his page open)
Thumb at the bottom is my girl with a 2 stroke on her and vids are first day with her and her new Honda. (Is not really that loud, but turn sound down)
Honda/PB video by dan3xd - Photobucket
Honda/pb1 video by dan3xd - Photobucket

Attachments

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Commander and Cabin, maybe you guys should take your own advice and buy a motorcycle/scooter.
Then after you buy your cheap used Chinese mc/ms for that price you can spend more time and $$ to maintain it....IFFF you can find the parts.

I can have an mc/ms or motorized bike and I choose the MB.

I also chose Mitsubishi for my dual-engined creation..rd.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Commander and Cabin, maybe you guys should take your own advice and buy a motorcycle/scooter.
Then after you buy your cheap used Chinese mc/ms for that price you can spend more time and $$ to maintain it....IFFF you can find the parts.

actually that will be my next move, (MC) I just got 2 basic 119$ engines added them to a free bike and a walmart bike. the bikes run very good. But I dont see a future in it for me as Penn state is a ***** at reg. and license of a MB.And my first post was basically why spend so much money if you dont have to, unless of course you are selling the 4 stroke here ? LOL

Really sorry about all that Troy. I promise you that is out of the norm here. Quality and dedication to the art and camaraderie are the usual.
I think i missed a few posts , cause when i came back here my post to you had been removed not even sure why .

@Troy good luck with your new build and your decision to buy this 4 stroke

troyboy

Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
I am going with the two stroke mistsubishi. Thanks Dan, Commander, 5-7heaven, Cabinfeverrr, houghmade, And also fairracing. I really enjoyed listening to this discussion good and bad. Its all good!!! VVRUM VVRUM
PEACE
Troyboy .fly

Last edited: