math on the economy of this sport

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Today i received and installed a new 2 cycle engine kit (the old one went 3000 miles)
kit $134 =.048cents a mile
Gas in Canada allow$5 gal = .05 cents a mile at 100 mpg
Tires etc = .05 cents a mile
Total = .15 cents a mile or less great fun for such a cheap price

Of course you and i know because we are addicts you spend more on speed equipment ,tires etc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The math for me is, I could have bought the best moped made and still had enough money left for a dinner in the fanciest restaurant in town.

Of course I would be 75 pounds heavier and my balance would be so bad that I couldn't ride it anyway. Also I probably would have taken my own life from boredom a year or so ago.

All in all I think bicycles have been a terrific value for me. I figure I spend under a hundred bucks a month on them. I get exercise for my body and my mind.

I suppose it is a savings in a way. I don't need a gym membership. I don't need a trip to the movies or to buy expensive video games for entertainment. I don't need special clothes or exotic tools to enjoy my hobby. When the price of a camera is well over a thousand dollars and the price of a thrift store bike is $10 I think the bikes are a bargain.

The most important thing is that at my age there are not a lot of battles you win all buy yourself. When a bike I stuck a motor on actually runs, there is a great since of "OH YEAH, I"M DA MAN". So yeah they are a great deal.

Last edited:

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
math for me...b/c i'm a MATH TEACHER

spent on parts over last 2 years = +/- $600
entertainment, stress/tension relieving therapy = PRICELESS.