For those over 50

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
For you old farts out there, Valentino Rossi is a boy wonder motorcycle racer.

Kind of like the 21st century Giacomo Agostini.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door
Wasn't that Finius T. Bluster? I believe he was the mayor of Doodyville?
You're absolutely right...and you just told everyone how old you are :)
There was another puppet on the Howdy Doody show but for the life of me I can't remember what they called him/it. He was a combination of animals, if my memory serves me. Had a duck's bill and a body like a dachshound...What the heck was that? And I wonder where those puppets are today. Surely someone has them stashed away. Probably worth a million bucks now.
Tom

Oh, oh, I just remembered another one! Kukla, Fran and Ollie!!! Oh wow! haven't thought of that one in a while. Now that's really going back there, guys.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
man you guys are bringing back a flood of stuff, whats weird is i remember all this stuff in color when it was all in black and white, what color was howdys shirt to you?
I'm cheating 'cause I had a Howdy Doody string puppet. His shirt was red and white plaid.

And David is right, '"Flub-a Dub" was that weird thing's name. Wow, and I thought I was old...As for Howdy's sister...Heidi? Sounds right anyway.
And I'm surprised that David hasn't mentioned the all time greatest Saturday Morning series, Sky King!!!! What did he fly for the first two seasons of the show? What was his ranch called, and what was his niece's name? No fair googling! Or Wikipedia.

Tom

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
This was a featured flying machine in a 60's show called Love
That Bob with Bob Cummings but the most memorable show he did was with Julie Newmar called , My Living Doll . Wow ! she was one hot robot . Do you remember ?

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This was a featured flying machine in a 60's show called Love
That Bob with Bob Cummings but the most memorable show he did was with Julie Newmar called , My Living Doll . Wow ! she was one hot robot . Do you remember ?
Bob, David, Joe, ...I can't keep all these names straight. Moderators; they all look alike.

(Sorry, Bob, I was reading one thing and seeing something else.)
And you win the Sky King prize. Now for the bonus question: Who was Sky's sponsor?

That flying car was for real. Funny I just saw it on History Channel a few weeks ago.
Okay, Julie Newmar...Yes, I remember 'My Living Doll' it was a basis for some of my teenage male fantasies.
Another one that left a lasting impression on me was the girl who played Jacky Cooper's nurse on a show called 'Hennessy', I think. He was a navy doctor, she was his...what was she? Nurse, girlfriend, assistant? There was just something about that lady. Couldn't begin to recall the actress' name but Donna, or Barbra comes to mind.
Tom

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
We had different shows in Canada . I have never seen the Howdy Doody show or Sky King . We had The Friendly Giant . " Look up , look waaaay up " . The show with airplanes that I remember is The Flying Doctor and my all time favorite SUPER CAR . ................... D.J.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
D.J.,we had Howdy Doody and Sky King in Toronto through channels 2 and 4 in Buffalo.
Had forgotten about the Friendly Giant. We watched the Flying Doctor but don't remember Super Car.

Steve.

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.
Do any of ya remember any of these...?

Yancy Derringer - w/Joch Mahoney
Wanted Dead or Alive - w/Steve McQueen
The Rebel - w/Nick Adams
Batt Materston - w/Gene Barry
Broken Arrow - w/Michael Ansara
Cheyene - w/Clint Walker
The Lawman - w/John Russel
The Rifleman - w/Chuck Conners
Wagon Train - w/Ward Bond

There's plenty more, but these were some of my favorites as a kid. :ride:

Come to think of it, I don't think there's been much good on TV since then. :rolleyes:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do any of ya remember any of these...?

Yancy Derringer - w/Joch Mahoney
Wanted Dead or Alive - w/Steve McQueen
The Rebel - w/Nick Adams
Batt Materston - w/Gene Barry
Broken Arrow - w/Michael Ansara
Cheyene - w/Clint Walker
The Lawman - w/John Russel
The Rifleman - w/Chuck Conners
Wagon Train - w/Ward Bond

There's plenty more, but these were some of my favorites as a kid. :ride:

Come to think of it, I don't think there's been much good on TV since then. :rolleyes:
My mom and dad never missed any of these shows. Two you forgot one was 'Sugarfoot'., the other was the longest running TV show for many years. Who could forget, 'Dodge City and Marshal Matt Dillon, Kitty, Doc, Festus and The Long Branch Saloon in the one called...??? (waiting for the answer) They were mostly all produced by Warner Bros. Studios too. Probably shot on the same back lot. There was a western for every night of the week back then.
Tom

Last edited:

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
What was it about a loner with a cowboy hat that caused so many differant types of westerns to be aired in such close proximity to one another . I know it was competitive broadcasting . But what made shows like Cheyenne, with Clint Walker and Death Valley Days,hosted by Ronald Reagan , sponsered by 20 Mule Team Borax , so appealing . For me it was some good wrighting, acting and fighting . And a chance to watch good win out over evil . I grew up playing cowboys and indians ,we made our own bows and arrows out of long tree branches and baler twine . And a ready made 6 shooter came from my dad's 1/2 inch ratchet with a long socket attached .My brother and I had a Cowboy and Indian field behind the barn . Many deadly battles were fought back there .

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I'll tax everyone's memory with this one. How bout "Bronco Lane". "There's not a horse that he can't handle, and that's how he got his name." Or how about Dobie Gillis. It had Bob Denver (Gilligan) as Maynard G. Crebb. Funny though I can't remember who played Dobie. I must be over 50. Oh and do any of you remember Mitch Miller, "Sing Along with Mitch"................................

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Bronco .... Bronco tearing across the Texas plain . I met Bob Denver in 1970 at a gas station on the Indiana Toll Road filled his converted school bus up with gas and got his autograph . Duane Hickman was Dobie . He made his first appearance on the Bob Cummings show . Now my brain hurts . Can you name an article of clothing Dobie wore that became popular with the young men in college and was named after him .

Last edited:

Zev0

May 18, 2009
Rio Grand Valley
I got one that probably no one on here will remember. I can barely remember it as a kid and I'm 65. It's the "Lucky Strike Hit Parade"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, Mitch Miller...I can still see my granddad sitting in his recliner/rocker, smoking his pipe and "Singing along with Mitch" at the top of his lungs and didn't care what anyone else thought.
Zelda, the girl on Dobie Gillis later became a gay activist politician in California. Actually, I think she was the mayor of a small town. Can't remember her real name.

As for Dobie's attire, all I can remember is a plaid, button down collar shirt and white jeans. And what was Maynard afraid of?

Answer to my previous question: Gunsmoke, with James Arness...and what was his first movie roll?

Zevo, I remember the 'Lucky Stike' show, but do recall...'Ted Mack's Amateur Hour' The early forerunner of today's shows like 'America's got Talent'
Tom

Last edited: