Spark Plug Wire Alternative

GoldenMotor.com

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
I am beginning to regret even posting the information!
all i know is myself and 4 other bikes are running the wire i show, and all love it.
all of us have tried resistor wire with an obvious loss of perfotmance. we will stay with the wire i show.
take it or leave it, your choice
(i will be checking for 7mm solid core at a moyercycle shop)

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I tried some coax cable this morning and the bike ran great!!!
Too bad it scrambled my speedometer and had to be reset. I tried to shield the cable by grounding the outer sheath to the motor, but it was too close to the inner wire an was arcing over and killing the engine. perhaps a rubber hose over the coax wrapped with foil might shield it better without the arcing?

Due to the high frequency nature of the spark shielding reduces voltage significantly. Resistor wire is the reasonable method to solve the bike computer reset problem. And shorter is better. Some speedos need mods to the sensor too. I have a computer on 4 of my bikes to keep track of engine run time. Battery replaced but no resets in close to 4 years.

Also sold over a dozen and no reset problems either. Lots of mechanical issues (broken holder, cut wires, etc).

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I usually run mine with resistor wire but it's a bit long. Maybe shortening it will give it a little more pep. zpt
If I turned the slanted head around I could make it really short.

Thanks for the tip.
Not likely the length makes any difference either. I do recall coax cable on a CDI Rotax had slight reduction in spark but little effect with points version. This was because the waveform from the points version was slower thus less effected by capacitance. Those wires were pretty long too.

If computer reset is a problem shorter wires may help.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
length does effect radio radio frequency interference ( RFI ). there is proof to that.. if you use an induction timing on a car engine, with the inductor too close to 1 end or another or a really short wire, it won't pick it up