Clutch Base and Large Wheel Loose

GoldenMotor.com

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
YouTube - clutch base loose ( no audio shows how much play)

One of the engines I have makes a ton of noise when the clutch is pulled in, basically the large wheen vibrates on the clutch base. I'm missing a couple balls from the inner race.

Now I realize all those bearing are going to go everywhere if i get it apart without a maget.
But how do i either tighten it back up or pull it apart?

Are the three pins threaded, is that how it's held on? Or is there and outer ring that screws off?

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
The 3 pins are not threaded. They just keep the pressure plate centered and from spinning. Where the balls for the big wheel are depends on the engine. Usually you have to remove the plate the 3 pins are mounted on. Put something under the bike to catch them or better yet if you know what size they are (some are 2mm some 3mm). Have a replacment set ready before you pull it apart. To get it back together use some wheel bearing grease to "glue" them in place while you bolt it up.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
YouTube - clutch base loose ( no audio shows how much play)

One of the engines I have makes a ton of noise when the clutch is pulled in, basically the large wheen vibrates on the clutch base. I'm missing a couple balls from the inner race.

Now I realize all those bearing are going to go everywhere if i get it apart without a maget.
But how do i either tighten it back up or pull it apart?

Are the three pins threaded, is that how it's held on? Or is there and outer ring that screws off?
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-ht-clutch-assembly-countershaft-8939.html#post86518

The animations are gone, I exceeded the photobucket bandwidth. The still shots are at the bottom of each post. Click them twice and you'll get a clear view of the assemblies.

I'll put the animations up on my website as soon as I get a chance. They explain how this goes together.

Jim

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Manic here are the gifs i put them on a different site hope you do not mind but im posting them for you. my bandwidth for downloads is 5GB a month

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-ht-clutch-assembly-countershaft-8939.html#post86518

The animations are gone, I exceeded the photobucket bandwidth. The still shots are at the bottom of each post. Click them twice and you'll get a clear view of the assemblies.

I'll put the animations up on my website as soon as I get a chance. They explain how this goes together.

Jim

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Muchly appreciated especially the gifs.
But how does the bearing race come apart from the wheel and base, just pressed together?

----Edit Never mind, just pried at it abit and its starting to come apart, I'm going to leave it as is and drop it by bc bearing tomorrow and have them see if they can make it nice again. Looks like its missing about 4-5 balls total but it i can get it redone with quality stuff I think it'll be good.
It is just pressed together.

Last edited:

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Muchly appreciated especially the gifs.
But how does the bearing race come apart from the wheel and base, just pressed together?

----Edit Never mind, just pried at it abit and its starting to come apart, I'm going to leave it as is and drop it by bc bearing tomorrow and have them see if they can make it nice again. Looks like its missing about 4-5 balls total but it i can get it redone with quality stuff I think it'll be good.
It is just pressed together.
maybe see if they have large bearings to takethe slack out of the plate.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
YEah that was kinda my idea too they bunch up a little side to side in the race so a touch larger may be whats needed.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Well popped by Bc bearing today and showed them, they wanted to know what year my bike was.
Said they didn't have anything like that, he used some callipers to measure them and they were 3mm.
Said due to it being from china it was probably metric so i told him yeah they are probably 2 or 3mm
He said he wouldn't have allot of luck finding metric sizes, but he did, So I had to min order 300, which means I have extras to do my engine and future builds if needed. $25 Cad. Pick them up tomorrow.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Im sure people here will help you get rid of all the bearings just make a new post and say how pakages you have( the amount per assembley) and price tell them to direct message you and then when your out close the thred

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Don't think I will have to do that, but if I have extra and someone needs some there may be enough. Have 4 engines currently, extra isn't bad especially if this makes things a little smoother. Just pressing it all back together looks like it'll be fun.

Will have to grab some bearing grease on the way home, I like the way white lightning works and I think they have a bearing lube now, may check that out. Just working on the races right now with some alcohol, looks like there's a few spots where the balls just rotated instead of spun, small indents. Hopefully they wont catch there, not huge, but I don't want to change the race at all besides clean it.
Big wheel ring looks good I think.

Attachments