Which Computer to Buy?

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I have both.. 2 desktops and 2 laptops.. 1 laptop ( old IBM 600E ) runs 24/7 as a dialup internet server, as my main OS is Ubuntu and not entirely dialup friendly.. the other laptop I use around 10% of the time, and only really use it for traveling... unless you have a direct need for a laptop, a desktop is the way to go... consider, if it's always plugged in, your gonna kill the battery in a year or less.. that's $50-200 depending on battery size, and then the enviromental impact.. a laptop battery used properly, when cycled from charged to discharged with each use will last a long time

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you could erase your hardrive and reload the cds that came with it and then blow the dust out of your computer then it'll run like new.
or just go to walmart and get a e-machines for $300 it'll be fine for what you do.
and no i dont reccomend a e-machines but its cheap,but my old dell w xp runs better on internet and starts fast but not for watching movies full screan or playing big games.

bvCrimson

I just built a quad core for myself and it is fast as ****. I used all my old drives (HD, CD/DVD) and spent just over $400. I bought the AMD Phenom II X4 (the 3.0Ghz) and a Biostar motherboard and RAM from Newegg.com

You'd be better off building a rig then buying a name brand unit. I also got a vid card, but you said you don't game, so the onboard graphics would be more than enough.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I just built a quad core for myself and it is fast as ****. I used all my old drives (HD, CD/DVD) and spent just over $400. I bought the AMD Phenom II X4 (the 3.0Ghz) and a Biostar motherboard and RAM from Newegg.com

You'd be better off building a rig then buying a name brand unit. I also got a vid card, but you said you don't game, so the onboard graphics would be more than enough.
That is really good advice. Why pay for a case and a bunch of components that are fine when you could get a motherboard/CPU compatible with the mem sticks you already have. Add to them with new and "ghost" your old hard drive. It has been yrs sence I have done this but is not hard Mike. I have at least 3 PCs sitting in a closet if you need any thing. Could do this really cheaply and is always more fun to build. If it weren't, we would all be on a scooter forum, snork.

I mean it, if you need any parts, just let me know.

Oh! I used to get lucky at yard sales! Folks would sell good PCs because they lost the power cord or the vid card died. Silly stuff, but worth looking.

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
For 289 at Staples, you can get a 3gig Ram Compaq. I have one. It is fast... Great for work, surfing, and just about anything except gaming. If you are wanting a computer for work only stuff, it is the way to go. Cheap and good. It is fast for sure. Also..It has slots for upgrading as well. In case you want to game later on. But.. For 289 bucks,,, You can not go wrong. Mine is a 2Gig Vista machine. Now.. I see them for about the same price as mine but with 3Gig Ram and Vista. I can not believe how cheap these machines are getting and how powerful they are. It is amazing for sure. O yes.. Forgot. It comes with usb's front and rear, some are HS USB's. DVD/CD burner, HiFI voice card, and more. 289 wow !! Enjoy the ride...

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
That is really good advice. Why pay for a case and a bunch of components that are fine when you could get a motherboard/CPU compatible with the mem sticks you already have. Add to them with new and "ghost" your old hard drive. It has been yrs sence I have done this but is not hard Mike. I have at least 3 PCs sitting in a closet if you need any thing. Could do this really cheaply and is always more fun to build. If it weren't, we would all be on a scooter forum, snork.

I mean it, if you need any parts, just let me know.

Oh! I used to get lucky at yard sales! Folks would sell good PCs because they lost the power cord or the vid card died. Silly stuff, but worth looking.
Many thanks Dan ol' buddy for the very generous offer but I think I have all the parts I need if I decide to rebuild. I have an old Acer that's still working good too ... 10 years old and still running fine!

.trk.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
you could erase your hardrive and reload the cds that came with it and then blow the dust out of your computer then it'll run like new.
or just go to walmart and get a e-machines for $300 it'll be fine for what you do.
and no i dont reccomend a e-machines but its cheap,but my old dell w xp runs better on internet and starts fast but not for watching movies full screan or playing big games.
Thanks Cabinfever ... appreciate the tip and wanted to comment on your suggestion to blow the dust out of my computer. I've done this several times. It worked great in the past but doesn't seem to be doing the trick this time. But that's a good suggestion and I wanted to bring attention to it incase someone else is having trouble. Blowing out the dust or vaccuming can be a big help.
.trk.